Projectile Stone Off Cliff question

• Thread starter badboyben03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the problem involves finding the horizontal distance traveled by a stone thrown at 14.0 m/s from a cliff 75.7 m high. The solution involves calculating the vertical velocity of the stone and the time it takes for the stone to reach the ground, then using the given horizontal velocity to calculate the horizontal distance traveled. The variables g and h represent gravity and the height of the cliff, respectively.
badboyben03
A stone is thrown horizontally at 14.0 m/s from a cliff 75.7 m high. How far from the base of the cliff does the stone strike the ground?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

This is how u go about with the problem:

First calculate the vertical velocity of the stone using
v = & radic ;(2*g*h) and then calculate the time taken t for the ball to reach the ground vertically, then using the horizontal velocity that is given to be = 14m/s by using t = 75.7/vand then calculate the horizontal distance traveled by the stone using 14 * t. This the distance traveled by the stone away from the base of the cliff.

Sridhar

Reformatted reply,

Since the answer was not formatted properly, here's the same answer formatted again...
This is how u go about with the problem:
First calculate the vertical velocity of the stone using
v = √(2*g*h) and then calculate the time taken t for the ball to reach the ground vertically, then using the horizontal velocity that is given to be = 14m/s by using t = 75.7/vand then calculate the horizontal distance traveled by the stone using 14 * t. This the distance traveled by the stone away from the base of the cliff.

Sridhar

hi

what does g and h stand for?

Originally posted by badboyben03
what does g and h stand for?

Perhaps you need to spend a little more time studying, and less time on the computer. We do not do your homework for you here. We make every effort to help you learn, some things you simply must learn on your own. This question says, to me, that you have not put much effort into this assignment. Please set down and read you book.

hmmm

ummm...before you talk **** about me, i just want to let you know this isn't my homework. i haven't learned this yet. I am still on acceleration and velocity...so yeah.

1. How do I calculate the initial velocity of a projectile off a cliff?

To calculate the initial velocity of a projectile off a cliff, you will need to know the height of the cliff, the angle at which the projectile is launched, and the acceleration due to gravity. You can use the formula v0 = √(2gh) to calculate the initial velocity, where v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the cliff in meters.

2. How do I determine the maximum height of a projectile off a cliff?

To determine the maximum height of a projectile off a cliff, you will need to know the initial velocity, the angle at which the projectile is launched, and the acceleration due to gravity. You can use the formula hmax = (v0²sin²θ)/(2g) to calculate the maximum height, where hmax is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

3. What is the range of a projectile off a cliff?

The range of a projectile off a cliff is the horizontal distance traveled by the projectile before it hits the ground. To calculate the range, you will need to know the initial velocity, the launch angle, and the acceleration due to gravity. You can use the formula R = (v0²sin2θ)/g to calculate the range, where R is the range, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

4. How does air resistance affect a projectile off a cliff?

Air resistance can affect a projectile off a cliff by slowing it down and altering its trajectory. However, in most cases, the effect of air resistance is minimal and can be ignored in calculations. This is because the force of air resistance is much weaker than the force of gravity acting on the projectile.

5. Can a projectile fired off a cliff ever go higher than the initial height of the cliff?

No, a projectile fired off a cliff can never go higher than the initial height of the cliff. This is because the projectile is always affected by the force of gravity, which pulls it towards the ground. Even if the projectile has enough initial velocity to reach a higher height, it will eventually start to fall back towards the ground due to gravity.