Solving Projectile Motion Problem: 4.2 m/s

• Thread starter fleur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary: So, the time taken is t = 1.1sIn summary, Jim stands on a diving board and wants to roll a ball onto his friend Bob's head, who is swimming 6 m away from the front of the board. Neglecting friction and air resistance, the speed at which Jim must roll the ball is 4.20m/s. However, a previous attempt using incorrect equations resulted in a speed of 5.45m/s.
fleur

Homework Statement

Jim stands with a ball at the rear of a diving board, 10 m above the
surface of a swimming pool. His friend Bob is swimming below, at a
horizontal distance of 6 m from the front of the board. Jim thinks it
would be funny to roll his ball along the diving board so that it drops on
Bob’s head. Assuming that the effects of friction and air resistance are
negligible, calculate the speed (in m s-1) at which Jim must roll the
ball.

Homework Equations

s=u+1/2at^2
speed=distance/time

The Attempt at a Solution

rearranged s=u+1/2at^2 to find t
t=1.1s
speed 6/1.1=5.45m/s
However the answer is 4.20m/s
where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
fleur said:

Homework Statement

Jim stands with a ball at the rear of a diving board, 10 m above the
surface of a swimming pool. His friend Bob is swimming below, at a
horizontal distance of 6 m from the front of the board. Jim thinks it
would be funny to roll his ball along the diving board so that it drops on
Bob’s head. Assuming that the effects of friction and air resistance are
negligible, calculate the speed (in m s-1) at which Jim must roll the
ball.

Homework Equations

s=u+1/2at^2
speed=distance/time

The Attempt at a Solution

rearranged s=u+1/2at^2 to find t
t=1.1s
speed 6/1.1=5.45m/s
However the answer is 4.20m/s
where did I go wrong?
Why don't you show us your calculations of how you obtained t = 1.1 s for the time it takes the ball to fall from the board and hit the water.

SteamKing said:
Why don't you show us your calculations of how you obtained t = 1.1 s for the time it takes the ball to fall from the board and hit the water.
I did square root of 2x6/9.81

fleur said:
So the ball is falling horizontally? I thought the board was 10 m above the surface of the water.

The equation is wrong

fleur said:

Homework Equations

s=u+1/2at^2
The equation is s=ut+1/2at2

fleur said:

The time taken for it to hit the pool when dropped is the same as when rolled since the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity do not affect each other.

1. How do I solve a projectile motion problem with a velocity of 4.2 m/s?

To solve a projectile motion problem with a velocity of 4.2 m/s, you will need to use the equations of motion for projectile motion. These include the equations for horizontal and vertical motion, as well as the equations for time and acceleration. Plug in the given velocity of 4.2 m/s and the known values for the problem to solve for the unknown variable.

2. What is the formula for solving projectile motion problems?

The formula for solving projectile motion problems is: - Horizontal motion: x = x0 + v0x * t- Vertical motion: y = y0 + v0y * t - 1/2 * g * t^2- Time: t = (2 * v0y) / g- Acceleration: g = 9.8 m/s^2

3. What are the key assumptions when solving projectile motion problems?

The key assumptions when solving projectile motion problems are:- The projectile is in a vacuum (no air resistance)- The acceleration due to gravity is constant at 9.8 m/s^2- The projectile is only affected by the force of gravity- The Earth is considered flat and the effects of curvature are neglected

4. Can I use the same equations to solve for different variables in a projectile motion problem?

Yes, the same equations can be used to solve for different variables in a projectile motion problem. For example, if you are given the initial velocity, time, and acceleration, you can solve for the horizontal and vertical displacement. Similarly, you can solve for the initial velocity if you are given the displacement, time, and acceleration.

5. How do I determine the direction of a projectile's motion in a problem?

The direction of a projectile's motion can be determined by looking at the initial velocity vector. If it is pointing upwards, the projectile will follow a parabolic path and its motion will be in the positive y-direction. If the initial velocity vector is pointing downwards, the projectile will have a negative vertical velocity and its motion will be in the negative y-direction. For horizontal motion, the projectile will always move in the direction of the initial velocity vector.