1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile questionplease help

1. Oct 2, 2007 #1
    A cannon ball is fired from a catapult at 13.5 m/s at 24 degrees above the horizontal.
    a. How long is it in the air?
    b. What is the horizontal component of the velocity?
    c. How far from the catapult does the ball land?

I used a program on my calculator that we are allowed to use and got the X Magnitude to be 12.3 and the Y Mag. to be 5.5..with that i filled in this chart:

vX 12.3
    dX
    t

vfY 5.5
    voY
    dY
    t
    aY -9.8

i need a third component in the Y column, then i can figure out how to do the rest. How would I go about finding it?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2007 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You really shouldn't need to use a program on your calculator. I think it rather defeats the object of learning about projectiles. Have you been taught the kinematic equations? They can be found in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=110015

You should be able to work out everything given these and hopefully understand projectile motion better.

4. Oct 2, 2007 #3
    yeah we weren't taught that..

but im thinking that what i may have done is but the 5.5 in the wrong spot? or should the original velocity be zero?

5. Oct 2, 2007 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The original speed in the y direction will be 5.5 ms-1. The final speed will be the same but in the opposite direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?