1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile range

1. Dec 31, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

After a short engine firiing, an atmosphere-probing rocket reaches 4.6km/s. If the rocket must land within 50km of its launc site, what's the max allowable deviation from a vertical trajectory.

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution

Given by the book:

x = (vi^2/g)sin 2Θ

50,000m = (vi^2/-9.8)sin 2Θ

sin2Θ = (gx/vi^2) = 0.0232

Again this is really frustrating, I take g = -9.8 and x = 50,000m, vi = 4600m/s
    but I get -0.0232.

What is wrong here?
    If I use a positive g, I get 0.0232 but that would be rubbish.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2013 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Why would it be "rubbish"?

I suggest you check the derivation of the range formula. That should tell you why ##g## should be taken as a positive number (just the magnitude) here.

4. Dec 31, 2013 #3
    I understand how to derive the equation for the range formula. What I don't understand is that the g in the equation was not specified as a magnitude so why should I be using the magnitude and not the vector g?

5. Jan 1, 2014 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

So, in the derivation, what is the exact expression for the vertical position at time ##t##?

6. Jan 2, 2014 #5

Capture.JPG

I have understood why g = 9.8 instead of -9.8ms^-2

7. Jan 2, 2014 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Good. It is because the equation for the vertical displacement explicitly includes a negative sign before ##g##, i.e. ##\displaystyle y = v\sin\theta{t} -\frac{1}{2}gt^2##. Hence ##g## here refers to the magnitude only.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted