• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Projectile Stone Off Cliff question

A stone is thrown horizontally at 14.0 m/s from a cliff 75.7 m high. How far from the base of the cliff does the stone strike the ground?

Answers and Replies

Hi,

This is how u go about with the problem:

First calculate the vertical velocity of the stone using
v = & radic ;(2*g*h) and then calculate the time taken t for the ball to reach the ground vertically, then using the horizontal velocity that is given to be = 14m/s by using t = 75.7/vand then calculate the horizontal distance travelled by the stone using 14 * t. This the distance travelled by the stone away from the base of the cliff.

Sridhar

Reformatted reply,

Since the answer was not formatted properly, heres the same answer formatted again...
This is how u go about with the problem:
First calculate the vertical velocity of the stone using
v = √(2*g*h) and then calculate the time taken t for the ball to reach the ground vertically, then using the horizontal velocity that is given to be = 14m/s by using t = 75.7/vand then calculate the horizontal distance travelled by the stone using 14 * t. This the distance travelled by the stone away from the base of the cliff.

Sridhar

hi

what does g and h stand for?

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Re: hi

Originally posted by badboyben03
what does g and h stand for?
Perhaps you need to spend a little more time studying, and less time on the computer. We do not do your homework for you here. We make every effort to help you learn, some things you simply must learn on your own. This question says, to me, that you have not put much effort into this assignment. Please set down and read you book.

hmmm

ummm...before you talk **** about me, i just wanna let you know this isn't my homework. i havent learned this yet. im still on acceleration and velocity...so yeah.