Calculating Projectile Velocity to Clear 11m Wall

In summary, the rocket is fired at a speed of 75.0 m/s from ground level at an angle of 66.4° above the horizontal. It is aimed towards a wall that is located 20.0 m away and 11.0 m high. The rocket attains its launch speed almost instantly and then coasts. To find the height the rocket clears the top of the wall, the horizontal velocity and time are calculated first and then used to find the vertical component of the velocity and time. Finally, the height the rocket clears the wall is found by subtracting the vertical component of the distance traveled in that time from the height of the wall.
scw287
A rocket is fired at a speed of 75.0 m/s from ground level, at an angle of 66.4° above the horizontal. The rocket is fired toward an 11.0 m high wall, which is located 20.0 m away. The rocket attains its launch speed in a negligibly short period of time, after which its engines shut down and the rocket coasts. By how much does the rocket clear the top of the wall?

I'm really stuck on this question not positive on my work
-4.9 t^2 +75 t sin 66.4 +0
horizontal component 75*cos(66.4) and a vertical component (75*sin(66.4))

I don't know how you would find time

Physics news on Phys.org
scw287 said:
I don't know how you would find time
Consider the horizontal motion. You have the distance and velocity.

I know it relates to time...but I am not sure how to tie the two together

What's the simplest relationship between velocity, distance, and time?

What's the difference between vertical and horizontal motion for a projectile?

v=change x/change of time
the horizontal component doesn't have acceleration?

Exactly right on both. The horizontal component is constant speed motion: Distance = speed X time. What's the horizontal speed and distance traveled?

Horizontal speed:750m/s
Distance traveled:
Distance=speedXtime
29cos66.4=750m/sXtime<<?

scw287 said:
Horizontal speed:750m/s
The total velocity is only 75 m/s--find the x-component of that.
Distance traveled:
is given--no calculation needed.

oops i meant 75.0 m/s, would it be 29.0

scw287 said:
oops i meant 75.0 m/s, would it be 29.0
That's close, but with a caculator you should be more accurate.
V_x = 75.0 m/s * cos(66.4 degrees) = ?

How does the 11.0 m wall come into play do i have to subtract it from 30.0262

Not yet, you've so far got the horizontal velocity (30.02). We're on to finding the time it takes to travel 20.0m (horizontally).

Then we can start on the vertical components.

so I would just multiply 30.02m/s*20m

V_y=75m/s*sin(66.4)
then I use the formula (V_y*t-9.80*t^2)/2
then subtract that answer from 11m right?<<<am I'm on the right track I just keep getting a very large numbers for answers

so I would just multiply 30.02m/s*20m
Not quite. Remember the relationship between velocity, time and distance?

Well i think i messed up on the time it should be .666 i think b/c of the formula v=change of x/change in time?

so if i calculated v_y right and t right my equation would be 68.727*.666+(-9.80m/s^2*(.666)^2)/(2)

YES I GOT IT THAT TIME! so i guess i have learned something today

What is projectile velocity?

Projectile velocity is the speed at which an object is projected through the air. It is measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).

How is projectile velocity calculated?

Projectile velocity can be calculated using the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the object.

What is the significance of clearing an 11m wall?

Clearing an 11m wall means that the object's vertical displacement is 11 meters. This can be achieved by projecting the object with enough velocity to overcome the force of gravity and reach a certain height.

What factors can affect projectile velocity?

Projectile velocity can be affected by factors such as air resistance, angle of projection, and the mass of the object. Air resistance can slow down the object, while a higher angle of projection or a lighter object can result in a greater velocity.

How is projectile velocity used in real-world applications?

Projectile velocity is used in a variety of real-world applications such as sports, military weapons, and engineering projects. It is also used in physics experiments to understand the motion of objects and predict their trajectories.