Solving Projectiles: Kinematics Equations & Variables for Grade 12 Physics 12 BC

• Thread starter link2110
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectiles
In summary, for projectiles, one uses kinematics equations and the component method to solve for variables such as time, max height, entire time in air, range, and velocity at a given time. The key is to assume that each dimension of motion is independent and unaffected by the other, and to use the proper equations for one-dimensional motion. For example, to find the time to max height, use an equation involving the y-component of velocity and acceleration due to gravity, and to find the max height, use an equation relating distance to acceleration and time.
link2110
Hi I am a grade 12 student in Physics 12 in BC, and I was wondering for projectiles, what equations you use, and what variables you use to solve. For example, in our notes our teacher gave us and example and completed it for us, but I don’t get why he used the equations he did. I do know that you use kinematics equations, and you have to change the initial velocity of the object into its 2 components Vy and Vx using component method, but other than that I don’t get why you use an equation and not another one.

Here is the problem, and any help at all would be appreciated.

A golf ball is hit diagonally (37o) off the top of a 15m cliff at 40m/s.

Find:
a) Time to max height
b) Max height achieved
c) Entire time in air
d) Range
e) Velocity at 1.0 seconds
f) Velocity at impact

Here is the picture that I drew to start.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/556/physicsquestion.th.png

Then I found the Vx and the Vy.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/1953/physicsquestion1.th.png

Now I'm stuck to find the first thing...because I don't know how to get it.
Help please?

The answers to the question are:
a) 2.46 sec
b) 44.6 m
c) 5.47 sec
d) 175 m
e) 35.0 m/s @ 24.1o above horizontal
f) (do not have b/c notes are incomplete)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The key to these problems is in the assumption that each independent dimension of motion is unaffected by the other. That is to say, if, parallel to the x-axis, the ball has no horizontal acceleration, then you can use kinematics equations assuming that the ball has no acceleration and get the correct horizontal component of the ball's velocity irrespective of what is going on in the y-direction. The same holds for the y-component analysis.

So if we look at question a) [time to max height], realize that the height of the ball has nothing to do with the horizontal velocity of the ball, and thus we need only know the y-component of the velocity and whether the ball is accelerating in that component. Use trigonometry to get vy and note that the acceleration in y is -g, where g is the scalar acceleration due to gravity at sea level. In the y-direction, the projectile is simply going up and down, just as if you were to throw it straight up with velocity vy without any horizontal component. You should already know the proper equation for this setup from your study of one-dimensional kinematics.

slider142 said:
Use trigonometry to get vy and note that the acceleration in y is -g, where g is the scalar acceleration due to gravity at sea level. In the y-direction,

so I am assuming that's -9.80 m/s - accelleration due to gravity.

then i'd use an equation just like the ones in kinematics where the ball is thrown straight up (V2= V1 + at), and assume that at V2, the max height the velocity of the ball is 0m/s. the V1 is the inital accell of the ball, which is the Vy. Am i right?

link2110 said:
so I am assuming that's -9.80 m/s - accelleration due to gravity.

then i'd use an equation just like the ones in kinematics where the ball is thrown straight up (V2= V1 + at), and assume that at V2, the max height the velocity of the ball is 0m/s. the V1 is the inital accell of the ball, which is the Vy. Am i right?

Sounds good! :smile: You will also need an equation involving distance, as you need height.

how do you find the max height?

Use an equation relating distance to acceleration and time. Find the time it takes for the object to decelerate to 0 using the equation you gave before. When it reaches 0 velocity it has attained its maximum height and will start falling (negative velocity).

1. How do you solve projectile motion problems?

To solve projectile motion problems, you need to use the kinematics equations for constant acceleration. These equations include the formula for displacement, velocity, and acceleration. You also need to identify the initial conditions of the object, such as its initial velocity and angle of launch.

2. What are the variables involved in projectile motion?

The variables involved in projectile motion include initial velocity, angle of launch, time, displacement, final velocity, and acceleration. These variables are used to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object at any given time during its motion.

3. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag force, can affect projectile motion by slowing down the horizontal velocity of the object. This results in a shorter range and a lower maximum height for the projectile. However, air resistance is often neglected in basic projectile motion problems unless stated otherwise.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical components of projectile motion?

The horizontal component of projectile motion deals with the object's motion in the x-direction, while the vertical component deals with the object's motion in the y-direction. The horizontal and vertical components are independent of each other, and their motion is affected by different forces. However, they both follow the same kinematics equations for constant acceleration.

5. How do you calculate the range and maximum height of a projectile?

To calculate the range of a projectile, you need to use the horizontal component of its motion, which is affected by the initial velocity and time. The formula for range is R = (v0 * sin(2θ)) / g, where v0 is the initial velocity and θ is the angle of launch. To calculate the maximum height, you need to use the vertical component of its motion, which is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and time. The formula for maximum height is h = (v0 * sin(θ))2 / 2g.