What Is the Launch Speed for a Projectile to Clear a 15m Barrier?

In summary, the problem is asking for the launch speed of a projectile that can clear a maximum height of 15.0 m when launched at an angle of 13.0° above the horizontal. The kinematics equations and the given values of delta y, v0x, ay, and ax can be used to find the velocity (v) and initial velocity (v0) of the projectile. The formula v^2=Vo^2+2aX is used to relate velocity to distance and acceleration, and the vertical component of velocity at the maximum height can be found using the formula vsin13.
kcalhoun

Homework Statement

The highest barrier that a projectile can clear is 15.0 m, when the projectile is launched at an angle of 13.0° above the horizontal. What is the projectile's launch speed?

Homework Equations

kinematics equations

The Attempt at a Solution

delta y=15m v0x= vcos13
ay=-9.8m/s^2 ax=0m/s^2

im not sure how to use the information that i have to solve the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
What does clearing a maximum height barrier suggest?

Will that be the highest point of its trajectory?

yes 15m is the highest point i just don't know how to use that to solve the problem

kcalhoun said:
yes 15m is the highest point i just don't know how to use that to solve the problem

What will the vertical component of velocity need to be if it is only to go 15 m high?

vsin13?

kcalhoun said:
vsin13?

Yes it will equal that.

But they ask you to find Vo to begin with.

i don't know how to find Vo with the given info.. that's my problem

so use v^2=Vo^2+2aX?? But i still don't know what v or Vo are or how to get them...

kcalhoun said:
so use v^2=Vo^2+2aX?? But i still don't know what v or Vo are or how to get them...

So at max height, what will the vertical velocity be again?

1. What is the definition of "launch speed" for a projectile?

The launch speed of a projectile refers to the initial velocity at which the projectile is launched or thrown. It is the speed at which the projectile is moving at the moment it leaves the launcher or hand.

2. How is the launch speed of a projectile calculated?

The launch speed of a projectile can be calculated using the equation V = √(gh) where V is the launch speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height from which the projectile is launched.

3. Why is the launch speed of a projectile important in scientific experiments?

The launch speed of a projectile is important because it affects the trajectory and flight of the projectile. It also helps determine the range, height, and time of flight of the projectile, which can provide valuable information in scientific experiments.

4. What factors can affect the launch speed of a projectile?

The launch speed of a projectile can be affected by various factors such as the angle of launch, air resistance, and the mass of the projectile. The surface on which the projectile is launched and the force used to launch it can also impact the launch speed.

5. How does the launch speed of a projectile change with increasing elevation?

The launch speed of a projectile increases with increasing elevation due to the increased potential energy at higher elevations. This means that the projectile will have a higher initial velocity and will travel farther when launched from a higher elevation compared to a lower elevation.