Projectiles launched from an angle

In summary, to solve projectile problems launched from an angle, you need to know the angle and the initial velocity. You can use the vertical displacement and initial velocity to find the angle, and you can find the initial velocity when given the total horizontal and vertical displacements and the launch angle. This can be done using the appropriate formulas of motion, such as v^2 - u^2 = 2as and basic trigonometric functions. The velocity of the projectile motion can be broken down into its components, with the horizontal component experiencing uniform speed and the vertical component experiencing constant acceleration.
alanna
I know how to solve projectile problems when they are launched from an angle if I know the angle and the initial velocity, I need to know:

a. Can you use the vertical displacement (m) and the initial velocity(m/s) to find the angle?

b. How do you find the initial velocity when you know the total horizontal displacement and the total Vertical displacement and the angle at which it is launched? (i.e. a ball is launched at a 35.0 degree angle and it clears a 21.0m wall 130.0m away, what is the initial velocity at which the ball was thrown?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer A

1. Yes you can.

2.Try this way

v_end^2=v_h^2+2a(x-x_0)
0=v_h^2+2g(0-h)
(2g(0-h))^1/2=v_h

sinX=V_h/initial velocity

But I don't know the Final velocity or the initial velocity of the horizontal.

The Horizontal has constant speed. Vx is constant.

The Velocity of the projectile motion can be done with its components, where component x is an uniform speed movement, and component y will experience constant acceleration movement.

Last edited:
alanna said:
I know how to solve projectile problems when they are launched from an angle if I know the angle and the initial velocity, I need to know:

a. Can you use the vertical displacement (m) and the initial velocity(m/s) to find the angle?

b. How do you find the initial velocity when you know the total horizontal displacement and the total Vertical displacement and the angle at which it is launched? (i.e. a ball is launched at a 35.0 degree angle and it clears a 21.0m wall 130.0m away, what is the initial velocity at which the ball was thrown?)
For b, the attached picture should be a correct method of finding the initial velocity, using the appropriate formulae of motion. (v^2 - u^2 = 2as and basic trigonometric..)

Attachments

• projectile.PNG
    projectile.PNG
    1.8 KB · Views: 431
Pseudo Statistic said:
For b, the attached picture should be a correct method of finding the initial velocity, using the appropriate formulae of motion. (v^2 - u^2 = 2as and basic trigonometric..)

Thank you so much, I've been stuck on a problem like this forever.

sorry but what do u mean when u use v_h?

vertical velocity? vertial height (S_y)?

Sin x = ? U_y / U_x ?

1. What is the initial velocity of a projectile launched from an angle?

The initial velocity of a projectile launched from an angle is the speed at which the projectile leaves the launch point and the direction in which it is moving. It is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

2. How does the angle of launch affect the range of a projectile?

The angle of launch affects the range of a projectile by determining the horizontal and vertical components of its initial velocity. The range will be the furthest when the projectile is launched at a 45 degree angle.

3. What is the maximum height reached by a projectile launched at a given angle and velocity?

The maximum height reached by a projectile launched at a given angle and velocity can be calculated using the equation h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile launched at an angle?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the trajectory of a projectile launched at an angle by slowing down its horizontal velocity and altering its path. The amount of air resistance depends on the shape and size of the projectile and the density of the air.

5. What is the difference between the range and the maximum height of a projectile launched at an angle?

The range of a projectile launched at an angle is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground, while the maximum height is the highest point it reaches in its flight. These two values are dependent on the initial velocity and launch angle of the projectile.