Projectile Motion on Earth and the Moon: Calculating Distance and Acceleration

• Thread starter PreciousJade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectiles
In summary, the conversation is about projectiles and the questions being asked are: how far could a baseball be thrown on the moon compared to Earth and if the acceleration due to gravity is different at 1000 meters above the Earth's surface. The response suggests using kinematic equations to determine the velocity of the ball and then using the moon's gravity in a new equation. The question of whether to use initial velocity or final velocity is also discussed.
PreciousJade
Projectiles- Physics11.
This is part of my lab, and i really can't figure this out:uhh:
So I need some help .,

Here are the questions ::

*Assume you can throw a baseball 40 meters on the Earth's surface.How far could you throw that same ball on the surface of the moon, where the acceleration of gravity is one-sixth what it is at the surface of the earth??

*AND will the acceleration due to gravity be different at 1000 meters above the surface of the Earth?

please i need help:blushing:
Thank you sooo much..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well for the first part, you can use the kinematic equations to determine how fast you actually threw the ball and plug this velocity into a new kinematic equation with hte moon's gravity in place of the earth.

Kinematics Equations?

Which question should i use?
Would i consider Initial Velocity at 0m/s
or the Final Velocity at 0m/s?
If the case is when you throw the ball ?
Thank you

Which question should i use?
Would i consider Initial Velocity at 0m/s
or the Final Velocity at 0m/s?
If the case is when you throw the ball ?
Thank you

The initial velocity at 0m/s? You mean x=0. Use x=0 i suppose because on a level surface with no friction, it will have the same speed at the end and at the beginning. You do this for the case when the ball is thrown on earth.

I don't see any other way to help than to show how I would approach this. Gravity only determines the time the ball remains in the air:

s = v_h*t
t = (v_v-u_v)/g

Go from here.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown, shot, or launched into the air and is only affected by the forces of gravity and air resistance.

2. How do you calculate the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile can be calculated using the formula: h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. It can be calculated using the formula: R = (v2sin2θ)/g, where v is the initial velocity and θ is the angle of launch.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion and can slow it down. This affects the trajectory and range of the projectile.

5. What are some real-life applications of projectile motion?

Projectile motion is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as sports (e.g. throwing a baseball or shooting a basketball), fireworks displays, and space exploration (e.g. launching satellites or spacecrafts).