1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projecting a vector onto a plane problem

1. Aug 29, 2004 #1

dcl

Heya's
    how would one go about spanning a vector say 'u' onto a plane spanned by vectors v1 and v2.

I have a formula for projecting a vector onto say a subspace w:
    projw(u) = <u,v1>v1 + <u,v2>v2 + .... <u,vn>vn
    But I'm unsure how to use this for when I need to project the vector onto a plane spanned by 2 other vectors.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2004 #2
    dcl : I am confused by the fact that you provide the correct formula !

Say you have a vector [tex]\vec{V}=\{V_i\}[/tex] with components indiced by [tex]i[/tex] in a general [tex]n[/tex] dimensional linear (vector) space : [tex]i\in \{0,1,2,\cdots ,n\}[/tex]. Say in this [tex]n[/tex] dimensional space you have a plane defined by two vectors [tex]\vec{u}^{(1)} = \{u^{(1)}_i\}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{u}^{(2)} = \{u^{(2)}_i\}[/tex]. Then the straightforward application of your formula leads to the projection [tex]P(\vec{V})[/tex] of the vector [tex]\vec{V}[/tex] onto the plane spanned by [tex]\vec{u}^{(1)}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{u}^{(2)}[/tex] :

[tex]P(\vec{V}) = \sum_{i=1}^2 \langle \vec{u}^{(i)},\vec{V} \rangle \vec{u}^{(i)} = c_1 \vec{u}^{(1)} + c_2 \vec{u}^{(2)}[/tex]

with [tex]c_1 = \langle \vec{u}^{(1)},\vec{V} \rangle = \sum_{i=1}^n u^{(1)}_i V_i[/tex] and [tex]c_2 = \langle \vec{u}^{(2)},\vec{V} \rangle = \sum_{i=1}^n u^{(2)}_i V_i[/tex]

4. Aug 29, 2004 #3

dcl

Thanks for that, guess it was simpler than I thought. :)

5. Aug 31, 2004 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If I'm not mistaken,
    in projw(u) = <u,v1>v1 + <u,v2>v2 + .... <u,vn>vn ,
    the v1,...,vn should be mutually-orthogonal unit vectors
    since a projection must satisfy projw(projw(u))=projw(u).

6. Oct 19, 2010 #5
    How could you create a matrix that performs this transformation? In other words, what matrix would project any vector V into the plane spanned by v1 and v2?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook