Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projecting Light Off Of Thin Air

1. Dec 22, 2004 #1
    What guesses do you have as to how this works?
    I wonder how hard it would be to use adaptive optics to stop the wavy motion of the image? Why does the image look like it is made of vertical strips? Looks like a photo went through a paper shredder. Upgrading it to show HD video and things with 3-D volume would tempt me to buy one if the price was right.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2004 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well, the technical 'scrip is necessarily vague, but they do hint at some of it:

"Air comes into the device, is modified then ejected and illuminated to produce the image. Nothing is added to the air so there isn`t any harmful gas or liquid emitted from the device, and nothing needs to be refilled. Operating the device will not change a room`s environment, air quality or other conditions. If a Heliodisplay were left running for a week in a hermetically sealed room, the only change to the room`s environment would be from the electricity used to run the device."

and then:

"Although the Heliodisplay uses lasers, the images are not holographic."

So, I'm guessing perhaps the air is modified to form a visible vapour, much like is being used in the glut of mist fountains that have come out recently. They look much like dry ice fountains, but they're not dry ice (it's a liquid chemical in a squeeze bottle).

4. Dec 22, 2004 #3
    Are you sure you aren't thinking of ultrasonic water foggers ? I have a five disk one, pretty neat. I'm not totally sure how they work but I think they use cavitation.

5. Dec 23, 2004 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yup, that's what I was talking about.

6. Jan 23, 2005 #5
    I want to carry out this experiment, and can you gentemen help to join in idea if I can make it to a big area scale, in this event, do you think we can utilize the concept of a dehumifier, with the vapour collected from the air (or better if it is open air) to create the foggy effect to form a fog screen to project images onto it. Need your enlightment urgent.

7. Jan 23, 2005 #6
    I want to carry out this experiment, and can you gentemen help to join in idea if I can make it to a big area scale, in this event, do you think we can utilize the concept of a dehumifier, with the vapour collected from the air (or better if it is open air) to create the foggy effect to form a fog screen to project images onto it. Need your enlightment urgent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?