Projection Functions: Combining X1 to Xn Coordinates

In summary, the projection function, denoted by \pi_i, takes an n-tuple as an input from the product of sets X_1 to X_n and outputs the i-th coordinate of that n-tuple. The resulting set X_1 \times \cdots \times X_n contains all possible n-tuples where each coordinate is a member of its respective set. The number of elements in this set depends on the sizes of the individual sets. It is important to note that \pi_i only outputs a single element, not the entire set.
Square1
Given sets X1,...,Xn the projection from the product X1 * ... *Xn is the function
pri = prxi : X1 * ... *Xn → Xi , pri(t1, ..., ti, ...,tn) := ti

Im having a hard time figuring out what exactly is going on here.

Some coordinate from all sets X1 to Xn are getting multiplied together? The above bit is an introductory example/case of "the projection function". Any help will do. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]X_1,\dots,X_n[/itex] be sets. Then [itex]X_1 \times \cdots \times X_n = \{(x_1,\dots,x_n) : x_i \in X_i\}[/itex]; that is, elements of [itex]X_1 \times \cdots \times X_n[/itex] are [itex]n[/itex]-tuples where the [itex]i[/itex]-coordinate is contained in [itex]X_i[/itex].

Now define the projection mapping [itex]\pi_i:X_1 \times \cdots \times X_n \rightarrow X_i[/itex] by setting [itex]\pi_i(x_1,\dots,x_i,\dots,x_n) = x_i[/itex]. So [itex]\pi_i[/itex] finds the [itex]i[/itex]-th value in the [itex]n[/itex]-tuple [itex](x_1,\dots,x_n)[/itex] and then prints out this value.

Last edited:
So..

You are multiplying any number of sets (any restrictions on "n" of the sets?), and the resulting (insert word here...set??) is a collection of all possible n-tuples (x1,...xn) where any given xi of a tuple will be a member of set Xi (so does this imply a condition on the order of multiplying the sets?).

Is that right?
The next line though I am a bit confused about the choice of pi. :(

Square1 said:
You are multiplying any number of sets (any restrictions on "n" of the sets?), and the resulting (insert word here...set??) is a collection of all possible n-tuples (x1,...xn) where any given xi of a tuple will be a member of set Xi (so does this imply a condition on the order of multiplying the sets?).

There is no restriction on the number of sets. You can actually generalize this to take infinite products of sets, although at that point you have to abandon the tuple notation.

Strictly speaking the order in which you take products of the sets is important. For example, [itex]\{1\} \times \{0\} \neq \{0\} \times \{1\}[/itex]. Under certain circumstances the order is more or less irrelevant, but since you seem to be just learning about cartesian products, I would not worry about it.

The next line though I am a bit confused about the choice of pi. :(

Sorry about that. A common name for the [itex]i[/itex]-th projection function is [itex]\pi_i[/itex]. This has no connection with the number we denote by [itex]\pi[/itex] or anything else. This is kind of an example where symbols get overloaded in math.

Ah ok thank you thank you.
jgens said:
Now define the projection mapping [itex]\pi_i:X_1 \times \cdots \times X_n \rightarrow X_i[/itex] by setting [itex]\pi_1(x_1,\dots,x_i,\dots,x_n) = x_i[/itex]. So [itex]\pi_i[/itex] finds the [itex]i[/itex]-th value in the [itex]n[/itex]-tuple [itex](x_1,\dots,x_n)[/itex] and then prints out this value.

So picking i=1 for example means, you will be "extracting" a single n-tuple then from the collection X1 x ... x Xn , where all entries are are the i'th/first coordinate of their original set?

Square1 said:
So picking i=1 for example means, you will be "extracting" a single n-tuple then from the collection X1 x ... x Xn , where all entries are are the i'th/first coordinate of their original set?

Not really. The projection functions do not extract an [itex]n[/itex]-tuple. Rather they extract a particular value from each [itex]n[/itex]-tuple you give them as an input. An example might be helpful.

Consider the case when [itex]X_1 = \cdots = X_n = \mathbb{R}[/itex]. Then [itex]X_1 \times \cdots \times X_n = \mathbb{R}^n[/itex]. We will consider the first projection function [itex]\pi_1[/itex]. Notice that [itex](1,0,\dots,0) \in \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] and [itex](1,2,3,4,\dots,n) \in \mathbb{R}^n[/itex]. It turns out that [itex]\pi_1(1,0,\dots,0) = 1[/itex] and that [itex]\pi_1(1,2,3,4,\dots,n) = 1[/itex].

So given an [itex]n[/itex]-tuple input, the projection function searched for the [itex]i[/itex]-th coordinate and then printed out whatever value was on that coordinate.

Hmm am i getting closer? So are projection functions can be used to output both: a given coordinate of an n-tuple, or a given i'th set, depending on how you define "pi sub i"
ex: pi*sub*Xi : X1 x ... x Xn
or
pi*sub*i : (t1, ... ti, ...tn)

? (crossed fingers)

Square1 said:
So are projection functions can be used to output both: a given coordinate of an n-tuple, or a given i'th set, depending on how you define "pi sub i"

Not really. I mean [itex]\pi_i[/itex] takes an [itex]n[/itex]-tuple in [itex]X_1 \times \cdots \times X_n[/itex] as an input, and then outputs the [itex]i[/itex]-th coordinate of that [itex]n[/itex]-tuple.

It is true that [itex]\pi_i(X_1 \times \cdots \times X_n) = X_i[/itex] and you can define a set-function which will output the image of a given set under [itex]\pi_i[/itex], but these are not the functions one usually refers to when talking about projection functions.

So which n-tuple does it take from X1 x ... x Xn ?

Square1 said:
So which n-tuple does it take from X1 x ... x Xn ?

You can apply [itex]\pi_i[/itex] to any [itex]n[/itex]-tuple in [itex]X_1 \times \cdots \times X_n[/itex].

Ok wait a second, when you say here the elements of the resulting set multiplication are...

jgens said:
Let [itex]X_1,\dots,X_n[/itex] be sets. Then [itex]X_1 \times \cdots \times X_n = \{(x_1,\dots,x_n) : x_i \in X_i\}[/itex]; that is, elements of [itex]X_1 \times \cdots \times X_n[/itex] are [itex]n[/itex]-tuples where the [itex]i[/itex]-coordinate is contained in [itex]X_i[/itex].

{(x1, ..., xn)}, is the tuple inside this set here just one element of the resulting set, implying many more such elements, or are the parenthesis not indicating one element but the entire set?

Square1 said:
{(x1, ..., xn)}, is the tuple inside this set here just one element of the resulting set, implying many more such elements, or are the parenthesis not indicating one element but the entire set?

In general, there are many elements in [itex]X_1 \times \cdots \times X_n[/itex]. How many elements exactly depends on the sizes of [itex]X_1,\dots,X_n[/itex]. It might help if you read the article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartesian_product

Ok I think was
a) overthinking this too much lol, and
b) overlooked two points (the last question I asked, and that by definition the projection function outputs a single number...at least in my class notes.)

I think I got it now. Thanks for the help, and patience :D

What are projection functions?

Projection functions are mathematical algorithms used to combine multiple sets of coordinates into a single set. These functions are commonly used in geographic information systems (GIS) to convert data from one coordinate system to another.

What is the purpose of combining X1 to Xn coordinates using projection functions?

The purpose of combining coordinates using projection functions is to accurately represent the location of objects or points on a map or other geographic representation. By combining coordinates from different systems, the data can be standardized and easily compared or analyzed.

What are the types of projection functions?

The most commonly used types of projection functions are cylindrical, conical, and azimuthal projections. Each type has multiple sub-types, such as Mercator, Lambert Conformal Conic, and Stereographic, which are used depending on the specific application and location.

What factors should be considered when choosing a projection function?

When choosing a projection function, it is important to consider the purpose of the data, the location it represents, and the intended use. Factors such as distortion, scale, and accuracy should also be taken into account to ensure the most appropriate projection is used.

Are projection functions always accurate?

No, projection functions are not always accurate. The accuracy of a projection depends on the type of function used, the location and size of the area being projected, and the level of detail required. Some projections are better suited for certain applications than others, and it is important to carefully consider the accuracy needs when choosing a projection function.