Projection of a point from one plane onto another

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of a plane in a 3D plane and how to determine the coordinates of a point in that plane. There is confusion about terminology and reference frames, but the question ultimately involves finding an easy way to solve the problem using rotation equations.
cptolemy
Hi,

In a 3D plane, I have another plane P1 equal to Ax+By+Cz=0 (D=0 since one of its points is (0,0,0) )

If I have the coordinates (x1,y1,z1) in the first plane, what are the cordinates of this point in the P1 plane?

I know the equation of the intersection line. But my calculations are going wrong, I'm afraid... And I thing it's because of the inclination rotations routines...

And I also think that a starting x-axis vector must be defined - from the intersection line.

Can someone help?

Kind regards,

CPtolemy

Mathematics news on Phys.org
cptolemy said:
Hi,

In a 3D plane, I have another plane P1 equal to Ax+By+Cz=0 (D=0 since one of its points is (0,0,0) )

If I have the coordinates (x1,y1,z1) in the first plane, what are the cordinates of this point in the P1 plane?

I know the equation of the intersection line. But my calculations are going wrong, I'm afraid... And I thing it's because of the inclination rotations routines...

And I also think that a starting x-axis vector must be defined - from the intersection line.

Can someone help?

Kind regards,

CPtolemy
The equation of the first plane?

Hi,

The first plane is the 3D origin normal axis. So it can be, for instance, Ax + By = k (or any other constant), I'm picturing a 3D set - the normal x-y-z axis. Then, in that coordinate system I've created a new plane with an equation referred to that one.

Regards,

CPtolemy

cptolemy said:
In a 3D plane
Do you mean "in a 3D space"? A plane is a subset of three-dimensional space.
cptolemy said:
Hi,

The first plane is the 3D origin normal axis.
This makes no sense.
cptolemy said:
So it can be, for instance, Ax + By = k (or any other constant),
I'm picturing a 3D set - the normal x-y-z axis.
?
What does "normal x-y-z axis" mean. There is no x-y-z axis.
cptolemy said:
Then, in that coordinate system I've created a new plane with an equation referred to that one.

Regards,

CPtolemy

Hi,

Very technical - still no answer for helping out. I do believe you understood the question. Pointing out terminology is not helpful and just fills these posts with rubbish...

But thanks anyway.

Regards,

CPtolemy

cptolemy said:
Very technical - still no answer for helping out. I do believe you understood the question. Pointing out terminology is not helpful and just fills these posts with rubbish...
If you use the terminology incorrectly, it makes it more difficult to understand what you're asking, and to give an accurate answer.

When you start a thread off with "In a 3D plane, I have another plane P1 equal to Ax+By+Cz=0" without telling us about the first plane, you haven't formulated your question very well.

Your question can very likely be answered with a bit of trig and some basic vectors. Based on your misuse of terminology, it's difficult to tell what your level of mathematics knowledge is.

Ok,

Let's start from scratch. If I have a plane P1 defined by an equation, isn't that referred to a origin reference frame? That's the frame I'm talking about. P1 equation depends of that initial frame. My question is if I have a 3 dimensional point in that original frame - or reference system if you like - what are its coordinates in P1.
I assume I must define first an x-axis vector - the intersection line.
I've already solved the problem with a set of rotation equations: first a rotation over the z-axis (with the angle of the intersection line / the x-axis origin of P1 in the frame), and then over the x-axis (with the angle of the inclination of P1). But the formulas become complex, even if they work. I'm trying to find an easy way of doing this.

Regards,

CPtolemy

cptolemy said:
Ok,

Let's start from scratch. If I have a plane P1 defined by an equation, isn't that referred to a origin reference frame?
If I understand your question, then no. The equation of the plane is relative to the standard coordinate axis system. Are you trying to come up with a different coordinate system, one where two of the axes lie in the plane?

The general form of the equation of a plane is Ax + By + Cz + D = 0. The values of x, y, and z are measured along the usual x-, y-, and z-axes. If you are talking about a different set of axes, they could be called the x'-, y'-, and z'-axes, to distinguish them from the usual axes.
cptolemy said:
That's the frame I'm talking about. P1 equation depends of that initial frame. My question is if I have a 3 dimensional point in that original frame - or reference system if you like - what are its coordinates in P1.
A point in space has three coordinates. Do you know the coordinates of the point? As for your question -- "what are its coordinates in P1?" -- I don't understand what you're asking. Are you asking what the coordinates are in the new coordinate system?
cptolemy said:
I assume I must define first an x-axis vector - the intersection line.
What intersection line? The intersection of the plane with some other plane?
cptolemy said:
I've already solved the problem with a set of rotation equations: first a rotation over the z-axis (with the angle of the intersection line / the x-axis origin of P1 in the frame), and then over the x-axis (with the angle of the inclination of P1). But the formulas become complex, even if they work. I'm trying to find an easy way of doing this.
If what you're calling P1 doesn't go through the origin, I don't think that rotations will do what you're asking. This wikipedia article might be helpful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affine_transformation.

1. What is the purpose of projecting a point from one plane onto another?

The purpose of projecting a point from one plane onto another is to determine the location of the point on the second plane, based on its position on the first plane. This can be useful in various applications, such as mapping or navigation.

2. How is the projection of a point from one plane onto another calculated?

The projection of a point from one plane onto another is typically calculated using geometric principles, such as similar triangles or the Pythagorean theorem. Different projection methods, such as orthographic or perspective projection, may also be used depending on the specific application.

3. Can a point be projected onto any plane?

Yes, a point can be projected onto any plane as long as the projection method is applicable to the specific planes involved. For example, a point can be projected from a 2D plane onto a 3D plane using perspective projection.

4. What is the difference between a parallel and a perspective projection?

A parallel projection involves projecting a point onto a plane without accounting for the distance between the point and the plane. This results in a parallel projection, where all lines remain parallel after projection. In contrast, a perspective projection takes into account the distance between the point and the plane, resulting in a more realistic 3D representation.

5. Can a point be projected from a 3D plane onto a 2D plane?

Yes, a point can be projected from a 3D plane onto a 2D plane using various projection methods, such as orthographic or perspective projection. This is commonly used in computer graphics to create 2D representations of 3D objects.