Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projection of the Riemann tensor formula.

1. Nov 18, 2013 #1
    Suppose we are given two projection operators H' and H'' such that H' + H'' = 1, i.e. that any vector can be written as V = V' + V'' = (H' + H'') V. I'm trying to prove the formula

$$R(X',Y'')Z' \cdot V'' = (Z' \cdot (\nabla'_{X'}B') + \left<X'\cdot B', Z' \cdot B'\right>)(Y'', V'') + (V'' \cdot (\nabla'_{Y''}B') + \left<Y''\cdot B'', V'' \cdot B''\right>)(X', Z')$$

where ##B''(X',Y') = - \nabla''_{X'}Y'## and ##B'(Y'',V'') = - \nabla'_{Y''}V''##,

$$(\nabla'_{X'}B')(Y'',V'') = \nabla'_{X'}(B'(Y'',V'')) - B'(\nabla'_{X'}Y'',V'') - B'(X', \nabla'_{X'}V'') $$,

$$\left<X'\cdot B', Z' \cdot B'\right>)(Y'', V'') = \left<X'\cdot B'(Y'',.), Z' \cdot B'(.,V'')\right>$$

where the latter defines the scalar product between the two one-forms ##\alpha=X'\cdot B'(Y'',.)## and ##\beta = Z' \cdot B'(.,V'')##, with

$$\left<X'\cdot B'(Y'',.), Z' \cdot B'(.,V'')\right> = \left<\alpha, \beta\right> = g^{-1}(\alpha,\beta).$$ The Riemann tensor R is given by the usual formula.

Do you know of any references where the formula above is proven? Or can you suggest a way it might be proved? My biggest problem is making sence of the expression

$$\left<X'\cdot B'(Y'',.), Z' \cdot B'(.,V'')\right>$$

What would that correspond to in a form that will be more recognizable from the terms in the Riemann tensor?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted