Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projection of the vector (2,2,1) on the plane

1. Oct 16, 2004 #1
    How can I find the projection of the vector (2,2,1) on the plane that has the equation z=x-y?
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2004 #2
    First project it on the plane's normal vector (call the resulting vector x), then the vector you're searching for is (2, 2, 1) - x.
  4. Oct 17, 2004 #3
    How do I find the normal vector of the plane?
  5. Oct 17, 2004 #4
    The plane's equation can be written x - y + z = 0, so a normal vector is (1, -1, 1) (the coefficients of the variables).
  6. Oct 17, 2004 #5
    so the projection of the vector (2,2,1) onto the plane (z=x-y) is
  7. Oct 17, 2004 #6
    How did you arrive at that? I got a different answer.
  8. Oct 17, 2004 #7
    I subtracted the vectors, guess it's more complicated than that?
  9. Oct 17, 2004 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, it's more complicated than that. You have to go back to Muzza's original response and DO what he said there!
  10. Oct 17, 2004 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

to project v onto w != 0, find c such that v-cw is perpendicular to w, i.e. solve the equation w.(v-cw) = 0. i.e. solve w.v = c w.w, i.e. let c = w.v/w.w. then the projection is cw, I think, but i am geting confused looking at my fingers and doing this in my head.

anyway you get v = cw + (v-cw), where the first term is parallel to w and the second term is perpendicular to w, and so surely that does it.
  11. Oct 18, 2004 #10
    This is quite a puzzle but thanks for helping, I think I've figured this out.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?