1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projection of vectors

1. Aug 24, 2005 #1
    I was copying my friends notes and had a hard time understanding one of the examples he had written down from lecture. See the attachment for a the picture of the example. This example looks like a projection of two vectors to me, but i'm not sure.

[tex] u'=\frac{4i+2j}{\sqrt{20}} [/tex] u' = unit vector u in the direction of force
    [tex] v'=\frac{3i+4j}{5} [/tex] v' = unit vector v

[tex] Fy' = 7kN (\frac{4i+2j}{\sqrt{20}})\cdot (\frac{3i+4j}{5})

= 7kN (\frac{4}{\sqrt{20}} * \frac{3}{5} + \frac{2}{\sqrt{20}} * \frac{4}{5}) [/tex]

The unit vectors came from the drawing and are in the direction of the two vectors. The thing i don't get is why are 2 unit vectors being dotted, then multiplied by the magnitude 7 kN?

[​IMG]

**EDIT: forgot to include in the image a unit vector symbol in the pic for F, so F = 7 kN e' (e' is a unit vector)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2005 #2
    It is the same regardless of how you do it. If you multiply out the magnitude of the F vector onto the F's unit vector, you get the original vector F. You can then dot it against the y vector to find [itex] F \cdot y [/tex] (which I think is what your question is asking).

4. Aug 25, 2005 #3

lightgrav

Homework Helper

The subscript on the Fy should be v' instead! (ie, your e' = v')
    that is, your notes found the v' component of the 7kN Force
    which original vector was along the u' direction.

F_y would be = F cos(phi), where cos(phi) = u'.j (<=dot product)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?