What is the Dot Product of Unit Vectors in Vector Projection?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with understanding a vector example and the use of unit vectors in calculations. The example involves finding the magnitude of a force vector given two unit vectors and a drawing. The conversation also clarifies how to find the component of the force vector in a specific direction.
teknodude
I was copying my friends notes and had a hard time understanding one of the examples he had written down from lecture. See the attachment for a the picture of the example. This example looks like a projection of two vectors to me, but I'm not sure.

[tex] u'=\frac{4i+2j}{\sqrt{20}} [/tex] u' = unit vector u in the direction of force
[tex] v'=\frac{3i+4j}{5} [/tex] v' = unit vector v

[tex] Fy' = 7kN (\frac{4i+2j}{\sqrt{20}})\cdot (\frac{3i+4j}{5})

= 7kN (\frac{4}{\sqrt{20}} * \frac{3}{5} + \frac{2}{\sqrt{20}} * \frac{4}{5}) [/tex]

The unit vectors came from the drawing and are in the direction of the two vectors. The thing i don't get is why are 2 unit vectors being dotted, then multiplied by the magnitude 7 kN?

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/5998/untitled3bz.png

**EDIT: forgot to include in the image a unit vector symbol in the pic for F, so F = 7 kN e' (e' is a unit vector)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is the same regardless of how you do it. If you multiply out the magnitude of the F vector onto the F's unit vector, you get the original vector F. You can then dot it against the y vector to find [itex] F \cdot y [/tex] (which I think is what your question is asking).

The subscript on the Fy should be v' instead! (ie, your e' = v')
that is, your notes found the v' component of the 7kN Force
which original vector was along the u' direction.

F_y would be = F cos(phi), where cos(phi) = u'.j (<=dot product)

What is a projection of a vector?

A projection of a vector is a way to break down a vector into its components along a certain direction. It is the length of the shadow of the vector when it is projected onto a line or plane.

How is the projection of a vector calculated?

The projection of a vector can be calculated by taking the dot product of the vector and the unit vector in the direction of the projection. This will give the magnitude of the projection. To get the actual projection vector, multiply this magnitude by the unit vector.

What is the purpose of projecting a vector?

Projecting a vector can be useful in many applications, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It allows us to break down a vector into its components and better understand its direction and magnitude.

Can the projection of a vector be negative?

Yes, the projection of a vector can be negative. This means that the vector and the unit vector in the direction of projection are pointing in opposite directions, resulting in a negative magnitude.

Is the projection of a vector always perpendicular to the direction of projection?

No, the projection of a vector is only perpendicular to the direction of projection when the vector is perpendicular to the projection direction. In other cases, the projection will have a component in the direction of projection as well as a component perpendicular to it.