How Do You Calculate Projection Speed and Maximum Height in Projectile Motion?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a mechanics problem involving a ball being thrown at an angle α to the horizontal and clearing a wall. The question asks for the projection speed, as well as the position of the highest point reached in terms of X, Z, and tan α. The conversation involves discussing different equations and how to solve for the desired variables, with the final solution involving expanding a square and finding the time when the vertical component of speed is zero.
kfox1984
i have to answer this question for an assignment that I need to do for mechanics. I am really really stuck - would somebody please mind helping...

A ball thrown at an angle α to the horizontal just clears a wall. The horizontal and vertical distances to the top of the wall are X and Z respectively, with X.tan α>Z. Show that the projection speed is...

X/cos α { g/(2(X.tanα – Z)}^1/2

Where g is acc due to gravity. Determine the position of the highest point reached in terms of X. Z and tan α.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hint: Write equations for the vertical and horizontal positions as functions of time.

Thanks - I have already done that but still nothing...

kfox1984 said:
Thanks - I have already done that but still nothing...
Show what you did. Make use of the fact that when x = X, y = Z.

I have done that -
i'm not sure which equation to use...

I know that tx = ty so i have tried rearranging things and substituting. but i still have v's left in everything...

i don't understand where the tan has come from...

I'm guessing that i have to use v^2 = u^2 + 2as as the final eqn has a 2 in it but i don't understand how the two has got to the bottom of the fraction sign. I also don't understand where the squre root has come from...

I don't even know if I'm supposed to be using calculus or not - this is supposed to be an as level mechanics problem

Again I ask you to write down the expressions for horizontal (x) and vertical (y) positions as a function of time. (They will also involve V and α.) The tan and the 2 will fall into place automatically when you later set up and solve those equations.

(Nothing to do with calculus, just a little algebra.)

xcos(α) = (U + V)/2 * t , zsin(α) = (u + V)/2 * t

or x = [(ucos(α) + V/)2] *t and z = [(usin(α) + V)/2] * t

kfox1984 said:
xcos(α) = (U + V)/2 * t , zsin(α) = (u + V)/2 * t
Those aren't correct. Review the kinematic equations here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2"

(The ones you want relate displacement and time.)

kfox1984 said:
or x = [(ucos(α) + V/)2] *t and z = [(usin(α) + V)/2] * t
Getting closer, but still not right.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm sorry but i still really don't understand what i am supposed to do with these.

Start with this general equation:
[tex]x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2[/tex]

How would you apply it to the horizontal and vertical motion of your projectile?

ok so s = ut + 1/2at^2...

x = ucos(α)t , Z = usin(α)t 1/2gt^2 but I'm still unsure about what i am supposed to do next...I already tried rearranging the X one in terms of t then substituting it into the other...which didn't work...if i divide them then i loose the cos(α) using pythagoras was still wrong...?

sorry that's supposed to be z = u.sin(α) - 1/2gt^2

i've made a substitution...

x/ucos9α) = t

Z = u.sin(α).(x/cos(α)) - 1/2g[(x/ucos(α))^2]

is this correct?

kfox1984 said:
I already tried rearranging the X one in terms of t then substituting it into the other...which didn't work...
Try it again. (It worked for me. :wink:) Take the X equation and solve for t, then substitute that into the Z equation.

kfox1984 said:
sorry that's supposed to be z = u.sin(α) - 1/2gt^2
Good. But you left out a t in the first term on the right hand side.

kfox1984 said:
i've made a substitution...

x/ucos9α) = t

Z = u.sin(α).(x/cos(α)) - 1/2g[(x/ucos(α))^2]

is this correct?
Almost. You dropped a u in the second term. But you are on the right track.

i get -

Z = usinα.(x/cosα) - 1/2g[x/ucosα]^2 but now i have a cos^2 which I'm not sure how to get rid of??
Thanks

re arranging i get -

u^2 = xthanα - 1/2.g.(x^2/zcos^2α)

Which is still incorrect, i really don't know where i am going wrong sorry

kfox1984 said:
i get -

Z = usinα.(x/cosα) - 1/2g[x/ucosα]^2 but now i have a cos^2 which I'm not sure how to get rid of??
Thanks
(1) Fix that second term--you left out a "u".
(2) You don't want to "get rid of the cos^2". Just expand that square.
(3) Simplify as much as possible, then solve for u. (Hint: Solve for 1/u^2 first.)

i've done it...Thankyou soo much for your help. can I please just ask one last question;

finding the highest position i use the fact that v = 0 in the y dirn, is that correct, and i do the same thing pretty much substituting t again?

kfox1984 said:
i've done it...Thankyou soo much for your help.
Good! And you're welcome.

can I please just ask one last question;

finding the highest position i use the fact that v = 0 in the y dirn, is that correct, and i do the same thing pretty much substituting t again?
Yes, use the fact that the vertical component of speed is zero. Find the time when that takes place. Then just plug that time into your equation for y.

What is projection speed mechanics?

Projection speed mechanics refers to the study of how objects are projected through space and the factors that affect their speed and trajectory. It is a concept commonly used in physics and engineering.

How does air resistance affect projection speed?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It can significantly affect the speed of a projected object by slowing it down. The greater the surface area of the object and the faster it is moving, the more air resistance it will experience.

What is the relationship between projection angle and speed?

The projection angle, or the angle at which an object is launched into the air, can have a significant impact on its speed. In general, the higher the projection angle, the greater the initial speed of the object. However, if the angle is too high, air resistance will also have a greater impact on the object's speed.

How does the mass of an object affect its projection speed?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its projection speed. However, a heavier object will require more force to be projected at the same speed as a lighter object. This is due to Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration.

What are some real-life examples of projection speed mechanics?

There are many real-life examples of projection speed mechanics, such as throwing a ball, shooting a basketball, hitting a golf ball, or launching a rocket into space. These actions all involve understanding and manipulating projection speed mechanics to achieve a desired outcome.