1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projections quick help!

1. Nov 29, 2012 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Generally, the derivative of a function is zero at a point where the function has a minimum.
    [Edit:Sorry, please ignore my comment. I was looking at the first problem.]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  4. Nov 29, 2012 #3

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The solution is not differentiating nor "sets" x = 0 at that part of the solution.

What the solution is trying to say is:

"At whatever time it is when x happens to be zero, the y-component of velocity is c times greater than the x-component of velocity."

Recall that in the original problem statement, the initial velocity was given to you as u(i + cj). So the slope ("rise over run", also called dy/dx) is c/1 = c.

So at the very beginning, when the particle is launched, x = 0. (This is implied by the problem statement saying, "Relative to O, the position vector of a point on the path of P is (xi + yj) m.)

So still in other words, the statement is saying, "At the time the particle was launched (i.e. x = 0), the velocity slope (dy/dt over dx/dt) is c."

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook