Proving Projective Modules Have Free Modules as Direct Sums

• Thread starter peteryellow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modules
In summary, for a projective module P, there exists a free module F such that P + F = F. This follows from the fact that a module is projective if and only if there exists a free module Q and F such that P + Q = F. This can also be proven using Eilenberg's trick, where a countable number of copies of a free module are added to P to obtain F.
peteryellow
Please help me to prove that for a projective module P there exists a free module F, such that P +F =F.

Here + denotes direct sum = denotes isomorphic.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you really mean to write P + F = F? It's a standard result that a module is projective if and only if there is a module Q and free module F such that P + Q = F. Can you prove that?

It does seem to follow that there exists a free module F' with P + F' = F', although I've never seen it stated like that before.

I have seen this called Eilenberg's trick. The idea is that Q+P=F1 where Q is projective and F1 is free. Now let F=F1+F1+F1.. a countable number of times.

Then, P+F is isomorphic to P+Q+P+Q+P+Q.. which is isomorphic to F.

That's what I was thinking of, although I didn't know it was called Eilenberg's trick.

1. What is the definition of a projective module?

A projective module is a module over a ring that satisfies the property that for any surjective module homomorphism, there exists a module homomorphism that makes the following diagram commute:
commutative diagram
In simpler terms, a projective module is one that has the ability to "split" a surjective homomorphism, meaning that it can be mapped onto by another module homomorphism.

2. How is a projective module different from a free module?

A projective module is different from a free module in that it does not necessarily have a basis, whereas a free module always has a basis. This means that a projective module has more structure and constraints than a free module.

3. What is the significance of proving that projective modules have free modules as direct sums?

This result is significant because it allows us to understand the structure of projective modules better. It also helps us to classify and compare different types of modules, as well as prove other important theorems in abstract algebra.

4. What is the proof for showing that projective modules have free modules as direct sums?

The proof involves constructing a basis for the projective module and showing that it satisfies the necessary conditions for a direct sum. This includes proving that the basis elements are linearly independent and span the module, as well as showing that the direct sum of the submodules generated by the basis elements is isomorphic to the original module.

5. Can the result be extended to other types of modules?

Yes, the result can be extended to other types of modules, such as injective modules and flat modules. This is because the proof relies on the universal property of direct sums, which is a general concept in abstract algebra. However, the specific approach and techniques used may vary depending on the type of module being considered.