1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projective motion problems

1. Feb 21, 2004 #1
    Projectile problems are about as much fun as projectile vomiting.

Okay, I am stuck on all the same kind of problem.

Something is thrown or fired horizontally. There is no air resistance. After "x" seconds, it has fallen how far?

Ex: A bullet is fired horizontally from the top of a cliff. Three seconds later, the ball has fallen a vertical distance of ???
    And
    A bullet (violent, aren't they?) is fired horizontally with an initial velocity of 300m/s from a tower 20m high. No air resistance, the horizontal distance the bullet travels before hitting the ground is ????

Is the gravitational constant coming into play again? I know the ball/bullet is falling, and it's going sideways, too. is this a d=vt problem? Do I just go back to my little table of how far things fall in free fall for how far it falls down? But what for the horizontal component? Is that the d=rt part?

Thanking you in advance for any help. I'm lost again. New chapter, new confusion.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2004 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you do do 2-d (constant acceleration) projectile problems, all you generally have to do is to treat the vertical and horizontal directions as seperate 1-d projectile problems.

Sometimes one of these 1-d problems is solvable for what you want. Sometimes you need to use one of the 1-d problems to solve for change in time (the only thing which is always the same in both 1-d problems) which lets you solve the other 1-d problem.

4. Feb 21, 2004 #3

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Re: Projectiles....*sigh*

-------------
    Q:Is the gravitational constant coming into play again? I know the ball/bullet is falling, and it's going sideways, too. is this a d=vt problem?
    -----------------------
    A:yes the g constant is coming into play (for the vertical component or dropping part of it) and the d=vt is coming into play for the horizontal constant speed part

------------------------
    Q:Do I just go back to my little table of how far things fall in free fall for how far it falls down? But what for the horizontal component? Is that the d=vt part?
    -------------
    A: yes you go back to the table of falling for the falling part.
    and yes the horizontal component uses d = vt.

use your table just as if it were dropped. 5 t^2

how long does something take to drop 20 meters? use 5t^2 and find out
    how many seconds

then ask how far the thing can travel in that many seconds

-----------------

Hurkyl's answer is the right one. I am repeating the gist of it (in detail) for good measure.

5. Feb 22, 2004 #4
    Thank you to both Big Brains for the answer. I was unsure what the 1-d and the 2-d was about, so I very much appreciate the restating of the procedure.

6. Feb 22, 2004 #5
    Diff Kind of Help Needed

I put a post over in the Value Theory forum...need advice, youse all have helped me with physics problems, this is a moral one. I have all the tests the prof is going to give, do I use them?

7. Feb 22, 2004 #6

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Diff Kind of Help Needed

I think that depends on what do you mean by 'do I use them.' If you mean memorize the questions and answers on all of the tests - that would probably be cheating. Looking at the problems to see if you should study more is probably not so bad.

A bunch of it also depends on how you got a hold of the questions in the first place.

8. Feb 22, 2004 #7
    I got the book at the only used bookstore in Midland. I bought it fair and square. I didn't know it was the place he was getting his tests when I bought it.

Evidently SOME people are saying there is no book, there is no me, I don't really have a crazy class at a cow-town college, and so forth, so since I don't exist, I guess I have no moral dilemma. But thank you for your suggestion I use it to study and not to memorize. If I existed, I would take your advice to heart. But I'm evidently just a madeup little nothing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?