How far does a projectile travel in a given time?

• Thread starter holly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, this person has a dilemma because they have a book that has questions and answers in it, but some people who say the person doesn't exist say that using the questions and answers would be cheating.
holly
Projectile problems are about as much fun as projectile vomiting.

Okay, I am stuck on all the same kind of problem.

Something is thrown or fired horizontally. There is no air resistance. After "x" seconds, it has fallen how far?

Ex: A bullet is fired horizontally from the top of a cliff. Three seconds later, the ball has fallen a vertical distance of ?
And
A bullet (violent, aren't they?) is fired horizontally with an initial velocity of 300m/s from a tower 20m high. No air resistance, the horizontal distance the bullet travels before hitting the ground is ?

Is the gravitational constant coming into play again? I know the ball/bullet is falling, and it's going sideways, too. is this a d=vt problem? Do I just go back to my little table of how far things fall in free fall for how far it falls down? But what for the horizontal component? Is that the d=rt part?

Thanking you in advance for any help. I'm lost again. New chapter, new confusion.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you do do 2-d (constant acceleration) projectile problems, all you generally have to do is to treat the vertical and horizontal directions as separate 1-d projectile problems.

Sometimes one of these 1-d problems is solvable for what you want. Sometimes you need to use one of the 1-d problems to solve for change in time (the only thing which is always the same in both 1-d problems) which let's you solve the other 1-d problem.

-------------
Q:Is the gravitational constant coming into play again? I know the ball/bullet is falling, and it's going sideways, too. is this a d=vt problem?
-----------------------
A:yes the g constant is coming into play (for the vertical component or dropping part of it) and the d=vt is coming into play for the horizontal constant speed part

------------------------
Q:Do I just go back to my little table of how far things fall in free fall for how far it falls down? But what for the horizontal component? Is that the d=vt part?
-------------
A: yes you go back to the table of falling for the falling part.
and yes the horizontal component uses d = vt.

Something is thrown or fired horizontally. There is no air resistance. After "x" seconds, it has fallen how far?

Ex: A bullet is fired horizontally from the top of a cliff. Three seconds later, the ball has fallen a vertical distance of ?

use your table just as if it were dropped. 5 t^2

A bullet...is fired horizontally with an initial velocity of 300m/s from a tower 20m high. No air resistance, the horizontal distance the bullet travels before hitting the ground is ?
[/B]

how long does something take to drop 20 meters? use 5t^2 and find out
how many seconds

then ask how far the thing can travel in that many seconds

-----------------

Hurkyl's answer is the right one. I am repeating the gist of it (in detail) for good measure.

Thank you to both Big Brains for the answer. I was unsure what the 1-d and the 2-d was about, so I very much appreciate the restating of the procedure.

Diff Kind of Help Needed

I put a post over in the Value Theory forum...need advice, youse all have helped me with physics problems, this is a moral one. I have all the tests the prof is going to give, do I use them?

Originally posted by holly
I put a post over in the Value Theory forum...need advice, youse all have helped me with physics problems, this is a moral one. I have all the tests the prof is going to give, do I use them?

I think that depends on what do you mean by 'do I use them.' If you mean memorize the questions and answers on all of the tests - that would probably be cheating. Looking at the problems to see if you should study more is probably not so bad.

A bunch of it also depends on how you got a hold of the questions in the first place.

I got the book at the only used bookstore in Midland. I bought it fair and square. I didn't know it was the place he was getting his tests when I bought it.

Evidently SOME people are saying there is no book, there is no me, I don't really have a crazy class at a cow-town college, and so forth, so since I don't exist, I guess I have no moral dilemma. But thank you for your suggestion I use it to study and not to memorize. If I existed, I would take your advice to heart. But I'm evidently just a madeup little nothing.

1. What is projective motion?

Projective motion is a type of motion where an object moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity. It is also known as projectile motion, and is commonly seen in situations where an object is thrown or launched into the air.

2. What are the key components of a projective motion problem?

The key components of a projective motion problem are the initial velocity, launch angle, and height of the object. These factors determine the trajectory and final position of the object.

3. How can we calculate the maximum height and range of a projectile?

The maximum height and range of a projectile can be calculated using the equations:
- Maximum height: h = (v2sin2θ) / (2g)
- Range: R = (v2sin2θ) / g
Where v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2).

4. How does air resistance affect projective motion?

Air resistance can affect projective motion by slowing down the object and changing its trajectory. This is because air resistance creates a force in the opposite direction of motion, known as drag. The larger the surface area of the object, the greater the effect of air resistance.

5. Can we apply projective motion equations to real-world scenarios?

Yes, projective motion equations can be applied to real-world scenarios such as throwing a ball, shooting a cannonball, or launching a rocket. However, in some cases, factors like air resistance and external forces may need to be taken into account for more accurate calculations.