1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projector matrices

1. May 4, 2010 #1
    Consider the matrix [tex]A = u v^{\ast }[/tex] where [tex]u, v \in \textbf{C}^{n}[/tex]. Under what condition on u and v is A a projector?

A is a projector if [tex]A^{2}=A [/tex], so we have [tex]u v^{*} u v^{*}= u v^{\ast }[/tex].

Does this imply [tex] u v^{\ast } = I[/tex] ? And what exactly are the conditions on u and v that they are asking?

do we have that [tex]u_{i} v^{\ast }_{i}=1[/tex] and [tex]u_{i} v^{\ast }_{j}=0[/tex] for [tex] i\neq j[/tex] ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Can you clarify what uv* means and how this could be a matrix?

4. May 4, 2010 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that [itex]v^{*}u[/itex] is a scalar, so you rearrange the terms of the product:

[tex]u v^* u v^* = u (v^* u) v^* = (v^* u) (u v^*)[/tex]

5. May 4, 2010 #4
    To Mark44, u is an nx1 column vector, v* is the conjugate transpose of v, where v is an nx1 column vector. So uv* is an nxn square matrix.

6. May 4, 2010 #5

Mark44

OK, that makes more sense.

A2 = A <==> A(A - I) = 0. What are the conditions for the last equation? Clearly, one possibility is that A = I (which is to say that uv* = I). But there are other possibilities (plural).

7. May 4, 2010 #6
    The only other possibility that I see is that uv* is the 0 matrix. In this case, [tex]u_{i}v^{*}_{j} = 0[/tex] for all i and all j.

8. May 4, 2010 #7

Mark44

There's another possibility. AB = 0 does not necessarily imply that either A = 0 or B = 0. For example,
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{c c} 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c c} 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array}\right] = \left[\begin{array}{c c} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array}\right][/tex]

9. May 4, 2010 #8
    Oh true! But I am lost here, I am not sure what would be the conditions on u and v then.

10. May 4, 2010 #9

Mark44

If AB = 0 (meaning the 0 matrix), then |AB| = 0 (the number).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook