Ridley Scott Talks 'Prometheus 2' Film

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Film
In summary: Prometheus failed to do that for me.The Alien universe is so cool!I agree, the Alien universe is really cool.
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg, I think you and I agree most of the time, but not on this one (the original Prometheus). I'm with "honest trailers" on this one:

Likes nsaspook
phinds said:
Greg, I think you and I agree most of the time, but not on this one (the original Prometheus). I'm with "honest trailers" on this one:

Lol that really was hilarious. I guess I just turned off my logic switch and got sucked into the atmosphere.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Lol that really was hilarious. I guess I just turned off my logic switch and got sucked into the atmosphere.
Actually, I'm a big fan of this kind of movie and that's what I usually do too, but this one for some reason annoyed me more than entertained me.

Didn't this movie have some changes while it was being made?
Like I originally heard about it as an Alien prequel.
But then Scott changed his mind and it was a stand alone project.
But then it kinda was a prequel but not really??

I did enjoy the movie in the end, but it wasn't anything fantastic for sure. The plot holes and sillyness took a lot away for me.

cpscdave said:
Didn't this movie have some changes while it was being made?
Like I originally heard about it as an Alien prequel.
But then Scott changed his mind and it was a stand alone project.
But then it kinda was a prequel but not really??

It gets worse than that. Way worse:

Movies.com: You throw religion and spirituality into the equation for Prometheus, though, and it almost acts as a hand grenade. We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

Ridley Scott: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an “our children are misbehaving down there” scenario, there are moments where it looks like we’ve gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, “Lets’ send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it. Guess what? They crucified him.

Ridley Scott's original synopsis for Prometheus was, "Jesus was an alien, and the aliens decide to exterminate humanity because humans crucified him, but they accidentally create parasitic xenomorphs instead." In another interview, he confirms that yes, that was actually the original plot.

Maybe that gives us a glimpse into how Hollywood works. Jesus Christ was an alien, and, and then xenomorphs, and ugggggh it's so stupid.

Not to mention, the Roman empire was bad, but the Aztec empire was just peachy? Why not the Japanese empire? Maybe Hirohito was the alien. Or Genghis Khan? Space Genghis sounds better than Space Jesus to me, but then I'm not an Academy Award-winning director, so what would I know?

Last edited:
Artribution said:
Space Genghis sounds better than Space Jesus to me,

You forgot about the one true space deity Xenu!

I thought Prometheus had an incredible visual style. Every moment was a work of art. It's only disappointing because the story was garbage and didn't explain any of the nonsensical events.

Likes Fredrik
Khashishi said:
I thought Prometheus had an incredible visual style. Every moment was a work of art. It's only disappointing because the story was garbage and didn't explain any of the nonsensical events.
I fully agree. Prometheus is the gorgeous dumb bimbo of films. Enchanting to look at, but oh, dread the moment when it decides to say something.
In fact, it reminds me of that girl called Storm from Tim Minchin's sketch of the same name.

That is to say, I'll probably spend a couple of hours with the sequel, maybe with a hand of the mute button, though.

Last edited:
Prometheus 2?

Why not Catwoman 2? Ishtar 2? Gigli 2?

Vanadium 50 said:
Why not Catwoman 2?

Stop it. Stop it right now. It's never appropriate to joke about making a sequel to that movie. ?:)

Greg Bernhardt said:
I for one really enjoyed the first Prometheus.

This was one of the most disappointing movie experiences I ever went through. It just failed completely to meet my expectations.

Yes there were some plot holes, but it was spooky and haunting.

There might be a few spooky and haunting scenes in the first half of the movie. But I disagree that the overall atmosphere of the movie is spooky and haunting. And especially in the second half there are also a lot of scenes that I found downright absurd.

To me, a spooky and haunting movie must have believable protagonists. But the protagonists of Prometheus behaved as if they were part of some teenage slasher movie.

Smattering said:
But the protagonists of Prometheus behaved as if they were part of some teenage slasher movie.

I wouldn't trust them with a dune buggy, much less a starship.

1. What is the release date for "Prometheus 2"?

The release date for "Prometheus 2" has not been officially announced yet. However, director Ridley Scott has mentioned that it is in the works and will likely be released in 2020 or 2021.

2. Will any of the characters from the first film be returning?

It has been confirmed that Michael Fassbender will reprise his role as David, the android, in "Prometheus 2". As for other characters, it has not been confirmed yet, but there is a possibility that Noomi Rapace's character, Dr. Elizabeth Shaw, may also make an appearance.

3. Is "Prometheus 2" a sequel or a prequel to the original "Alien" film?

Director Ridley Scott has stated that "Prometheus 2" will have a stronger connection to the original "Alien" film, but it will still be a separate story and not a direct prequel. It will explore more of the mythology and origins of the alien creatures.

4. Will there be any new alien creatures in "Prometheus 2"?

Yes, director Ridley Scott has confirmed that there will be new alien creatures in "Prometheus 2". He has also mentioned that the film will delve deeper into the origins and evolution of these creatures.

5. Will "Prometheus 2" tie in with the other "Alien" films?

Yes, "Prometheus 2" will tie in with the other "Alien" films, particularly the first film. Director Ridley Scott has stated that it will bridge the gap between "Prometheus" and "Alien" and provide more context to the events of the first film.