Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prometheus 2 film

1. Sep 24, 2015 #1
    I for one really enjoyed the first Prometheus. Yes there were some plot holes, but it was spooky and haunting. Plus the Alien universe is so cool! Anyway, here is a new Interview on Ridley Scott about the title and movie etc.
    http://www.heyuguys.com/prometheus-2-title-ridley-scott-interview/

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Greg, I think you and I agree most of the time, but not on this one (the original Prometheus). I'm with "honest trailers" on this one:

4. Sep 24, 2015 #3
    Lol that really was hilarious. I guess I just turned off my logic switch and got sucked into the atmosphere.

5. Sep 24, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Actually, I'm a big fan of this kind of movie and that's what I usually do too, but this one for some reason annoyed me more than entertained me.

6. Sep 28, 2015 #5
    Didn't this movie have some changes while it was being made?
    Like I originally heard about it as an Alien prequel.
    But then Scott changed his mind and it was a stand alone project.
    But then it kinda was a prequel but not really??

I did enjoy the movie in the end, but it wasn't anything fantastic for sure. The plot holes and sillyness took a lot away for me.

7. Oct 14, 2015 #6
    It gets worse than that. Way worse:

Movies.com: You throw religion and spirituality into the equation for Prometheus, though, and it almost acts as a hand grenade. We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

Ridley Scott: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an “our children are misbehaving down there” scenario, there are moments where it looks like we’ve gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, “Lets’ send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it. Guess what? They crucified him.

Ridley Scott's original synopsis for Prometheus was, "Jesus was an alien, and the aliens decide to exterminate humanity because humans crucified him, but they accidentally create parasitic xenomorphs instead." In another interview, he confirms that yes, that was actually the original plot.

Maybe that gives us a glimpse into how Hollywood works. Jesus Christ was an alien, and, and then xenomorphs, and ugggggh it's so stupid.

Not to mention, the Roman empire was bad, but the Aztec empire was just peachy? Why not the Japanese empire? Maybe Hirohito was the alien. Or Genghis Khan? Space Genghis sounds better than Space Jesus to me, but then I'm not an Academy Award-winning director, so what would I know?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  8. Oct 26, 2015 #7
    You forgot about the one true space deity Xenu!

9. Nov 3, 2015 #8
    I thought Prometheus had an incredible visual style. Every moment was a work of art. It's only disappointing because the story was garbage and didn't explain any of the nonsensical events.

10. Nov 19, 2015 #9

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I fully agree. Prometheus is the gorgeous dumb bimbo of films. Enchanting to look at, but oh, dread the moment when it decides to say something.
    In fact, it reminds me of that girl called Storm from Tim Minchin's sketch of the same name.

That is to say, I'll probably spend a couple of hours with the sequel, maybe with a hand of the mute button, though.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  11. Nov 19, 2015 #10

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Prometheus 2?

Why not Catwoman 2? Ishtar 2? Gigli 2?

12. Nov 20, 2015 #11

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Stop it. Stop it right now. It's never appropriate to joke about making a sequel to that movie. ?:)

13. Nov 20, 2015 #12
    This was one of the most disappointing movie experiences I ever went through. It just failed completely to meet my expectations.

There might be a few spooky and haunting scenes in the first half of the movie. But I disagree that the overall atmosphere of the movie is spooky and haunting. And especially in the second half there are also a lot of scenes that I found downright absurd.

To me, a spooky and haunting movie must have believable protagonists. But the protagonists of Prometheus behaved as if they were part of some teenage slasher movie.

14. Nov 22, 2015 #13

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

15. Nov 22, 2015 #14

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I wouldn't trust them with a dune buggy, much less a starship.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook