Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Promoting Women in Science great, but what about the actual science?

1. Aug 8, 2013 #1

ChristinaJ

Gold Member

There seem to be blogs popping up all over the place about women in science. They are a great idea. There is often a lack of science on such pages making it difficult to get a good picture of what women in science are actually doing.

I am an accelerator physicist, at this moment working on methods of measuring electron beam emittance in particle accelerators.

I am very interested on what other women on the forum are researching/studying and so am hoping for contributions. The sciencier the better.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2013 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hey, welcome fellow accelerator physicist! I'm working on engineering new generation of photocathodes for accelerators to produce higher charge and low intrinsic emittance!

Unfortunately, I'm the wrong gender to contribute to your thread. :)

Zz.

4. Aug 8, 2013 #3

ChristinaJ

Gold Member

ZapperZ, Thank you for the welcome.

The chances of running into any accelerator physicist, even on a physics forum, are relatively slim, never mind a female one. It seems we are a relatively rare breed.

cj

PS I may be shopping for a new photocathode in the near future so engineer faster :)

5. Aug 8, 2013 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi again, Christina,

I've an ongoing thread trying to promote accelerator physics to the people in this forum, especially in trying to debunk the myth that "accelerator physics = high energy/particle physics".

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=410271

Hope to get you to participate in the fun!

Zz.

6. Aug 8, 2013 #5
    I'm also the wrong gender, but here, in real life, I know two female scientists. One is a Biology post grad, and the other is working on a PhD in GeoPhysics. Both are way too busy to post on PF. The Biology post grad is working on finding out why honey bees are disappearing. The geophysicist is working on earthquakes here in Southern California. Specifically, she's trying to tweak programs that decode satellite images of the area to eliminate atmospheric noise which heavily obscures data from the ground. She says if she can't get this to work, they're pretty much just going to have to remove the atmosphere.

7. Aug 8, 2013 #6

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Both of my graduates advisors (physics for M.S., applied math for PhD) were successful tenured women professors holding administrative positions (like department chair).

8. Aug 8, 2013 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm pioneering an innovative research line in neuroscience and am embedded in a state-of-the-art genetics lab. Unfortunately a major grant was rejected for an unfair reason, I'm fighting to get the decision overturned. I can't discuss the science, that would give away the idea :smile: Well, I can tell you that in genetics people have been solving simple Mendelian disorders, I want to address the missing heritability of complex genetic diseases.

9. Aug 8, 2013 #8
    I wonder what the reason was.

10. Aug 8, 2013 #9
    Monique, at least you didnt lose your funding because you were too psycho :)

11. Aug 13, 2013 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, I want to know as well. I just visited them today and they're not giving any facts, because facts I can rebuttal. I'm backed by the entire department and we'll go to court if necessary. So that's the science I do nowadays, legal affairs.

That has not been established with certainty :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook