Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pronunciation of 'Feynman'

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1
    How is it pronounced?

The Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Feynman) says it is pronounced like "Fine-man".

This has been bugging me for some time.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2005 #2
    That tallies with everything I've read. FINEman, accent on the first syllable. Why is this bugging you? You think he pronounced it differently? Call Cal-Tech and ask how it's pronounced.

4. Oct 30, 2005 #3

It's bugging me because I wouldn't read it that way, and could find nothing else on the internet concerning its pronunciation.

5. Oct 30, 2005 #4
    Say it out loud very loudly, a dozen or more times. Yell it at a friend or passerby. Then it'll be second nature, and you'll hear it correctly when you read it.

6. Oct 30, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah it doesn't look like how its spoken. When I originally saw it, i thought "fayn man"

7. Oct 30, 2005 #6
    I was unsure how it was pronounced when I first saw it as well, and I settled on FAYNman, untill someone corrected me. I've read three biographies of him, and all concur that it's FINEman. Feynman is probably a poorly chosen spelling of the German/Yiddish Feinman.

8. Oct 30, 2005 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Then you might pop a vein when you realize that "Einstein", "Brillouin", etc. are not pronounced the way they are spelled.

Zz.

9. Oct 30, 2005 #8

EL

Science Advisor

You should now how funny english sounds if I would pronounce it like it is spelled...:wink:

10. Oct 30, 2005 #9

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

How about Goethe?

In Chicago there is a Goethe Avenue; the locals pronounce it Go-eth. But then they have also a Devon Avenue, which they pronounce Dee-Von.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  11. Oct 30, 2005 #10

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

In Texas, there's "Houston" prounced as "Hius-ton". In NYC, there's Houston St, pronounced as "House-ton". That's how the New Yorkers can tell if you're an out-of-towner.

Zz.

12. Oct 31, 2005 #11

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The first level was pronouncing Houston St. properly. The second level was knowing what Soho stood for.

I always thought Einstein sounded just like it was spelled...

13. Oct 31, 2005 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Or Tribeca, etc... But New Yorkers, especially those living in Manhattan, do pronouce it as "Hous-ton".

It's "Ein-Schtein".

Zz.

14. Oct 31, 2005 #13
    Diffirent People Pronounce It Difiirently (wish I Cud Spell)

15. Oct 31, 2005 #14
    I think it's like Ein-shtein.:tongue2: I may be wrong, but that's how I heard it on a German TV channel we receive.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/0,,8495,00.html

(Don't forget to take part in the quiz and win an Einstein action figure! :biggrin: )

16. Oct 31, 2005 #15
    Looks like I type too slow.:blushing:

17. Oct 31, 2005 #16
    I'm reading "Don't You Have Time To Think?" at the moment and in a letter from someone from his childhood the pronunciation of Feynman as "FINE-man" on a radio programme is mocked. However, there was no reply printed from the man himself. Make of that what you will.

18. Oct 31, 2005 #17
    German speakers pronounce the second syllable as "shtine" but no one in the US or UK or Canada or Australia does. It's "stine" in all those places.

19. Oct 31, 2005 #18

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That's besides the point. People bastardizes pronouciations all the time. It is how the person's name is pronouced either by his/her immediately family, or by him/herself that matters. Einstein spoke German, and grew up German. That is how his name was pronounced if one wants to be accurate.

Zz.

20. Oct 31, 2005 #19
    I don't think it necessary to adopt a faux German accent every time you want to say a German name. In fact, I think it's a tad pretentious to do so.

21. Oct 31, 2005 #20
    Matters of correct pronounciation aren't established that way in the uniquely ecclectic English language. It is a matter of the majority rules when it comes to pronounciation of any word. For English speaking peoples "stine" is correct. It is a bastardization, and it is not the way Einstein himself pronounced it, but it is how it happened to evolve. English is well known to be the least logical language there is. "Einstein" came into our language incorrectly, but "Mozart" did not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?