Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pronunciation of L'Hospital

1. Feb 19, 2004 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOH-pee-tahl or LOHS-pee-tahl?

Thanks! I have heard it both ways recently.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2004 #2
    Lo-Pih-tall

4. Feb 19, 2004 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If it were modern French, it would be [tex] l'H\hat{o}pital[/tex] with a circonflex, a little hat, over the o to denote the missing s. But even in the 17th century, the s was not pronounced. The only other language with spelling as weird as English is French.

5. Feb 19, 2004 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the info and explanation. Personally, I think we should just call it Bernoulli's Rule and be done with it! :)

6. Feb 19, 2004 #5

NSX

There's a s in there?

7. Feb 19, 2004 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to my book, the name of the fellow who popularized the method was Marquis de L'Hospital. The rule was actually discovered by a Swiss mathematician named Johann Bernoulli. They cut some kind of a business deal where the Marquis bought the rights to Bernoulli's discoveries.

8. Feb 20, 2004 #7
    John Bernoulli was actually Marquis de l'Hospital's private tutor/teacher...their agreement (due to the large sum of money L'Hospital was paying Bernoulli) was that anything they discovered during their studies would be published and credited to L'Hospital. So, yes, Bernoulli acutally dicovered it, but L'Hospital was given credit for it.

9. Feb 20, 2004 #8

Njorl

Science Advisor

I don't think there is an "s" in L'Hopital.

Njorl

10. Feb 20, 2004 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ummm.. James Stewart spells it that way in the standard textbook Calculus, 5th edition.
    Not that I trust him completely, but it is a pretty widely used textbook, and I would figure his editors would go to the trouble of fact-checking on that.

I like your jumpsuit, but the way. Red is my favorite color.

11. Feb 20, 2004 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?