Pronunciation of scientists' names

• Thread starter mnhtapu
  • Start date
In summary, the correct pronunciation of "Kirchoff" is "Kirkoff" and "Fresnel" is "Frenel". These pronunciations may vary in different parts of the world. "Kirchoff" may also be pronounced as "Kierkoff" and "Fresnel" may differ in pronunciation depending on the speaker's native country. "De Broglie" is another name that may cause disagreements in pronunciation.
mnhtapu
I'm confused what is the right pronunciation of "Kirchoff" and "Fresnel".
So far I have been pronouncing 'ch' in Kirchoff as 'sh' i.e. "Kirshoff" and keeping 's' silent in 'Fresnel' i.e. "Frenel" . Anyone from the native country of those two scientists can help me fix the right pronunciations of those two names?

Physics news on Phys.org
mnhtapu said:
So far I have been pronouncing 'ch' in Kirchoff as 'sh' i.e. "Kirshoff" and keeping 's' silent in 'Fresnel' i.e. "Frenel" . Anyone from the native country of those two scientists can help me fix the right pronunciations of those two names?

At least here in sunny California, Kirchoff is pronounced "Kerkoff". You have Fresnel correct. These words could easily be pronounced differently in different parts of the world.

Fresnel was a french guy. The pronunciation must be "frenel" like you said.

Kirkoff (almost Kierkoff), Frenel

mnhtapu said:
I alway pronounce it Frenel, but you can't go by me. As for Fresnel, I have no idea how it might be pronounced.

For a real argument try "De Broglie"

mgb_phys said:
For a real argument try "De Broglie"
"De Broglie"? Who's De Broglie? Surely, you refer to de Broglie!

1. How important is it to correctly pronounce a scientist's name?

It is extremely important to correctly pronounce a scientist's name as it shows respect for their work and accomplishments. It also avoids potential misunderstandings and confusion when discussing their research with others.

2. What is the best way to learn the correct pronunciation of a scientist's name?

The best way to learn the correct pronunciation of a scientist's name is to ask the person directly or listen to them introduce themselves. If this is not possible, you can also check for audio or video recordings of the scientist speaking or consult with colleagues who may be more familiar with the correct pronunciation.

3. What should I do if I am unsure of a scientist's name pronunciation?

If you are unsure of a scientist's name pronunciation, it is best to ask the person directly. It may feel awkward, but most people appreciate the effort to pronounce their name correctly. You can also ask for clarification or politely apologize if you mispronounced their name.

4. Are there any common mispronunciations of scientists' names?

Yes, there are some common mispronunciations of scientists' names, especially for non-English names. This can be due to differences in language and accent. It is important to be aware of these potential mispronunciations and make an effort to learn the correct pronunciation.

5. Is it okay to use a shortened or simplified version of a scientist's name?

No, it is not okay to use a shortened or simplified version of a scientist's name unless they have specifically given you permission to do so. This is disrespectful and diminishes the recognition of their work. If you are unsure of the correct pronunciation, it is better to ask for clarification rather than using a shortened version.