Spotting the Error: 0=4 in Math

• Thread starter powerof
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary, the supposed proof that 0=4 in the given conversation is based on an incorrect application of the rule \sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta = 1 and a misunderstanding of the range of values for \cos\theta. The use of the absolute value in the proof leads to an incorrect solution, as the negative value for \cos\theta is not considered. This highlights the importance of understanding the domain and range of trigonometric functions when solving equations and proofs.
powerof
I found this in my math book. It gives this supposed proof that 0=4 and asks where the error is. Note that this isn't homework. I found it at the end of the unit among other bonus problems to supposedly test ingenuity. Here it is:

[itex]sin^2 \theta + cos^2 \theta = 1 \Rightarrow cos \theta = \sqrt{1-sin^2 \theta}[/itex]​

Now we add 1 to both sides and then square them.

[itex]1 + cos \theta = 1 + \sqrt{1-sin^2 \theta}[/itex]

[itex](1 + cos \theta)^2 = (1 + \sqrt{1-sin^2 \theta})^2[/itex]​

Next we substitute theta with pi.
[itex](1 + cos \pi)^2 = (1 + \sqrt{1-sin^2 \pi})^2[/itex]​

Given that

[itex]cos \pi=-1[/itex]

[itex]sin \pi=0[/itex]​

it follows:

[itex](1-1)^2=(1+ \sqrt{1-0^2})^2[/itex]

[itex]0=2^2 \Rightarrow 0=4[/itex]​

So, what's the problem here?

Thanks for taking time to read this and hopefully solve it.

Have a nice day.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
powerof said:
[itex]sin^2 \theta + cos^2 \theta = 1 \Rightarrow cos \theta = \sqrt{1-sin^2 \theta}[/itex]​

I have a similar question in my book too, very fundamental error right in the first step.

For all real numbers x,

c372c85e83015d1494b8cdaac9125b12.png

Therefore,

[itex]\sqrt{cos^{2}(\theta)} = |cos(\theta)|[/itex]

Last edited:
powerof said:
[itex]cos \theta = \sqrt{1-sin^2 \theta}[/itex][/INDENT]

This rule when stated usually implies that [tex]\theta\in \left[-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2}\right][/tex] but it works for whenever [itex]\cos\theta \geq 0[/itex]

Remember that the general rule is [tex]\sin^2\theta+\cos^2\theta=1[/tex] and so if we re-arrange to solve for [itex]\cos\theta[/itex] we would get [tex]\cos^2\theta=1-\sin^2\theta[/tex] and at this point, if we're to take the square root of both sides, we need to keep in mind that there is also a negative square root value as well, mainly, [tex]\cos\theta=\pm \sqrt{1-\sin^2\theta}[/tex] where we take the positive value when [itex]\cos\theta >0[/itex] and the negative when [itex]\cos\theta <0[/itex].

1. What does "0=4" mean in math?

"0=4" in math means that the equation is not true or valid. In mathematics, the equal sign (=) is used to show that two expressions or values are equivalent. However, in this case, the expressions on either side of the equal sign do not have the same value, making the equation incorrect.

2. How do you spot an error in a math problem?

To spot an error in a math problem, you should carefully check each step of the problem and make sure that the operations performed and the values used are correct. You can also try solving the problem using a different method or approach to see if you get the same result. If there is an error, it will likely lead to a different solution.

3. How can "0=4" be possible in math?

"0=4" is not possible in math because it violates the fundamental properties and rules of mathematics. In math, 0 (zero) is defined as the additive identity, meaning that when added to any number, it does not change its value. Therefore, it cannot be equal to any other number, including 4.

4. What could be the reason for "0=4" in a math problem?

The reason for "0=4" in a math problem could be a mistake in the calculations or the use of incorrect values or operations. It could also be a result of applying a rule or property incorrectly. Additionally, it could be a typo or a misprint in the problem itself.

5. How can I fix an error that results in "0=4" in a math problem?

To fix an error that results in "0=4" in a math problem, you should carefully review your calculations and make sure that they are correct. If you find a mistake, correct it and recheck your solution. If you are unable to find the error, consider seeking help from a teacher or a fellow student. It may also be helpful to approach the problem using a different method or strategy.