Is Gamma Irrational? Investigating the Irrationality of Pi and e

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of proving that certain numbers, such as pi and e, are irrational. The speaker shares their approach of rewriting e as a series and proving each term to be irrational, but admits to being stuck when trying to show that the multiplied numbers are also irrational. The topic of whether pi+e is irrational is brought up, and the possibility of γ(gamma) being irrational is mentioned as well.
Pjennings
I've been thinking about pi^e lately, and trying to prove that it is irrational. By rewriting e as 1+1+1/2+1/3!+...+1/n! I got it to pi^2*pi^(1/2)*pi^(1/3!)*...*pi^(1/n!), and proved that each of these terms is irrational. I'm stuck when it comes to showing that multiplied together these numbers are irrational. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Although we know a lot about certain forms, proving numbers irrational is generally a very, very hard thing to do. For example, I think we don't even know whether or not pi+e is irrational!

I don't think that is a workable approach, since it's possible to form a rational number as the series where the partial sums are all irrational.

No, we do not know if pi+e is irrational, but I don't think that one is very interesting. I think it would be interesting to know if γ(gamma) is irrational though.

What is an irrational number?

An irrational number is a number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. These numbers have infinite non-repeating decimal representations and cannot be written as fractions.

How can you prove that a number is irrational?

One way to prove that a number is irrational is by contradiction. Assume that the number can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, then show that this leads to a contradiction. Another method is to show that the number has an infinite non-repeating decimal representation.

What are some examples of irrational numbers?

Some examples of irrational numbers are pi (3.141592...), the square root of 2 (1.414213...), and the golden ratio (1.618033...).

Can an irrational number be written as a fraction?

No, by definition, irrational numbers cannot be expressed as fractions. They are non-terminating and non-repeating decimals.

Why are irrational numbers important in mathematics?

Irrational numbers play a crucial role in mathematics, especially in geometry and physics. They help us understand and model real-world phenomena, and they are essential in many mathematical proofs and calculations.