Proof Abelian Group: Consec Ints & No Follow w/2

In summary, the conversation discusses a relation in a group where (a.b)^i = a^i.b^i for three consecutive integers, and using this relation to prove that the group is abelian. It also explores the possibility of the relation holding for just two consecutive integers, and finding a counterexample to show that the group may not be abelian in this case. The suggested approach is to use the contrapositive to prove the second part.
pedrommp

Homework Statement

If [tex] G [/tex] is a group in which [tex] (a.b)^i=a^i.b^i [/tex] for three consecutive integers [tex] i [/tex] for all [tex] a,b \in G [/tex] , show that [tex] G [/tex] is abelian.

Show that the conclusion does not follow if we assume the relation [tex] (a.b)^i=a^i.b^i [/tex] for just two consecutive integers.

Homework Equations

The basic group identities

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the first part i made :

Let j be the smallest of the three consecutive integers. Then we have that

[tex] (a.b)^j = a^j.b^j [/tex]

[tex] (a.b)^{j+1} = a^{j+1}.b^{j+1} [/tex] and

[tex] (a.b)^{j+2} = a^{j+2}.b^{j+2} [/tex] for all [tex] a, b \in G [/tex]

Inverting the first equation and right multiplying it to the second equation implies

[tex] a.b = a^{j+1}.b^{j+1}.b^{-j}.a^{-j} = a^{j+1}.b.a^{-j} [/tex] hence

[tex] b.a^j = a^j.b [/tex]

Inverting the second equation and right multiplying it to the third equation gives

[tex] a.b = a^{j+2}.b^{j+2}.b^{-j-1}.a^{-j-1} = a^{j+2}.b.a^{-j-1} [/tex] hence

[tex] b.a^{j+1} = a^{j+1}.b [/tex]

Therefore [tex] a^{j+1}.b = b.a^{j+1} = b.a^{j}.a = a^{j}.b.a [/tex] and left multiplying by

[tex] a^{-j} [/tex] yields [tex] a.b = b.a [/tex] for arbitrary [tex] a, b \in G [/tex]

Hence G is abelian.

But the second i tried to find an example of non-abelian group that satisfies the relation for two consecutive integers with no success.

Physics news on Phys.org
I might be missing something, but have you tried the contrapositive for the second part?

That is, I am interpreting this question as: The relation (the one you described for 3 consecutive integers) holds if and only if G is abelian.

Did I interpret correctly? If so, I'd try to prove the contrapositive.

Would it be cheating to assume i=0 and i=1? This would provide a counterexample...

I think i got it, if i take [tex] S_3 [/tex] then for all [tex] a , b \in S_3 [/tex] we have

[tex] (a.b)^0=e=e.e=a^0.b^0 [/tex] and

[tex] (a.b)^1=a^1.b^1 [/tex]

Hence [tex] (a.b)^i=a^i.b^i [/tex] for two consecutive integers but [tex] S_3 [/tex] is not abelian.

What is an Abelian group?

An Abelian group is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and a binary operation that satisfies the commutative property, meaning that the order in which the operation is performed does not affect the outcome.

What is the significance of consecutive integers in a proof for an Abelian group?

Consecutive integers are used in a proof for an Abelian group because they allow for a clear and systematic demonstration of the group's properties and operations. This makes it easier to identify any patterns or relationships within the group.

What does it mean for a group to have no follow with 2?

No follow with 2 means that in the group, every element is its own inverse, meaning that when the operation is applied to an element twice, it cancels out and returns to the original element.

Why is it important for an Abelian group to have no follow with 2?

Having no follow with 2 is important because it ensures that the group is self-contained and does not have any external influences or dependencies. This allows for a more rigorous and comprehensive study of the group's properties and behavior.

How is a proof for an Abelian group typically structured?

A proof for an Abelian group typically starts by defining the group's elements and operation, followed by stating any given properties or conditions. This is then followed by a step-by-step demonstration of how the group satisfies these properties, often using consecutive integers and the no follow with 2 property.