Is there a vector that satisfies the property of the number 1 for cross product?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that there is no vector ⃗e that satisfies the property of the number 1 for cross product. The participants suggest using a proof by contradiction and the definition of cross product to show that the assumption of e existing leads to a contradiction. They also mention that if ⃗e and ⃗x are parallel, then their cross product would be ⃗0, which is not equal to ⃗x.
hoopsmax25

Homework Statement

Show that there is no vector ⃗e that has the property of the number 1 for cross product, namely
that ⃗e × ⃗x = ⃗x for all ⃗x.

Homework Equations

I'm sort of stuck on how to show this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I set e=(e1,e2,e3) and x=(x1,x2,x3) and used cross product to multiply it out but got stuck there.

Physics news on Phys.org
cant you do this as a proof by contradiction using the definition of cross product?

a x b = c (c is then perpendicular to a) and (c is perpendicular to b)

so now you assume that e exists and then what do you get?

yeah i understand that. i think that's where i am stuck at. i don't know what the next step would be.

hoopsmax25 said:
yeah i understand that. i think that's where i am stuck at. i don't know what the next step would be.

well if e exists then e x x = x right which means that x is perpendicular to e and x perpendicular to x bt can x be perpendicular to itself?

Oh ok, so obviously it cannot. So is there a way to show that the contradiction by writing it out?

One might also note that if [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] is any non-zero vector in the same direction as [itex]\vec{e}[/itex], then [itex]\vec{e}\times\vec{x}= \vec{0}\ne \vec{x}[/itex].

1. What is a cross product?

A cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the input vectors. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the direction and magnitude of a force or torque.

2. How is a cross product calculated?

The cross product of two vectors, a and b, is calculated using the following formula: a x b = |a| * |b| * sin(θ) * n, where |a| and |b| are the magnitudes of a and b, θ is the angle between the two vectors, and n is a unit vector perpendicular to both a and b.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of a cross product?

The geometric interpretation of a cross product is that it produces a vector that is perpendicular to both of the input vectors. This means that the cross product can be used to determine if two vectors are parallel, perpendicular, or at some other angle to each other.

4. What are the properties of a cross product?

Some of the properties of a cross product include: it is not commutative (meaning a x b does not equal b x a), it is distributive (meaning a x (b + c) = a x b + a x c), and it follows the right-hand rule (meaning if you point your right thumb in the direction of a and your index finger in the direction of b, your middle finger will point in the direction of a x b).

5. In what situations is a cross product useful?

A cross product is useful in any situation where you need to calculate the direction and magnitude of a force or torque. It is commonly used in physics and engineering, such as in calculating the force on a wire in a magnetic field or the torque on a rotating object.