Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof about dimension

1. Dec 27, 2009 #1
    let U and V be subspaces of Rn. Prove that dim(U+V)=dim U+dim V - dim(U∩V)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Okay, first, what is your definition of "dimension" of a vector space?

4. Dec 27, 2009 #3
    its the number of vector in any basis for a subspace

5. Dec 27, 2009 #4
    Here's a hint: if [tex]U \cap V = \left\{0\right\}[/tex], then what must be the intersection of any base of U with any base of V?

6. Dec 27, 2009 #5
    a point...?
    but i still don't understand how to write the proof... T_T

7. Dec 27, 2009 #6
    the zero point

8. Dec 27, 2009 #7
    Notice that the basis are SETS of vectors: if [tex]U \cap V = \left\{0\right\}[/tex], then the intersection of any base of U, with any base of V will be the empty set; also, [tex]dim\left(U\capV\right) = dim\left(\left\{0\right\}\right) = 0[/tex]. Try this particular case first, then see if can generalize when [tex]U \cap V[/tex] is not the null subspace.

9. Dec 27, 2009 #8
    One way to approach the problem is to ask yourself if you can find bases for the vector spaces U + V, U, V, and U ∩ V that are related somehow to each other.

10. Dec 27, 2009 #9
    You are complicating too much; it's simpler than that: consider a basis [tex]\left\{b_{i}\right\}[/tex] for [tex] U \cap V [/tex]; this basis can be extended to a basis [tex]\left\{u_{i}\right\}[/tex] of U and [tex]\left\{v_{i}\right\}[/tex] of V; now it's only a matter of counting the vectors.

11. Dec 27, 2009 #10
    I believe we're talking about the same thing. Extending a basis is what I meant by finding bases for U, V, and U ∩ V that are related to each other, then picking the right vectors from those bases to be a basis for U + V. Of course, I still might be missing something even simpler; it wouldn't be the first time :-)

12. Dec 27, 2009 #11
    Yes, but for proving that identity, not all all basis will do. Start with [tex]U \cap V[/tex].

13. Dec 28, 2009 #12

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Choose a basis for U. If any of those basis vectors are also in V, you can construct a basis for V including those vectors. If not, just choose any basis for V. Of course, the vectors in both bases, if any, form a basis for [itex]U\cap V[/itex]. Now, just count!

How many vectors are there in the basis for U? How many vectors are there in the basis for V? How many are in both?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook