1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof about hermitian operators

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is something ive been trying to prove for a bit today. My quantum mechanics book claims that the following two definitions about hermitian operators are completely equivalent

my operator here is Q (with a hat) and we have functions f,g

[tex] \langle f \mid \hat Q f \rangle = \langle Q f \mid \hat f \rangle [/tex] for any function f in hilbert space

and

[tex] \langle f \mid \hat Q g \rangle = \langle Q f \mid \hat g \rangle [/tex] for any functions f,g in hilbert space

2. Related formulas

[tex] \langle f \mid g \rangle = \int f^{\ast} g dx [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Clearly the second definition implies the first, but I'm having trouble showing that the first implies the second.
    My quantum mechanics book has this as an exercise and as a hint it suggests to let f=g+h
    and then let f=g+ih with i being the square root of -1. I have done both of these things, expanding the inner products in terms of integrals. If i assume the first definition and let f=g+h, i can get

[tex] \langle f \mid \hat Q g \rangle + \langle g \mid \hat Q f \rangle = \langle \hat Q f \mid g \rangle + \langle \hat Q g \mid f \rangle [/tex]

doing a similar thing with f=g+ih i get the same result, and not sure where to go from here. Anybody have a better way to prove it or any ideas? thanks

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I don't see any definitions in your post.

4. Jan 21, 2012 #3
    Ah Sorry about that. I've just edited my post and corrected that

5. Jan 21, 2012 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start with (Qf,f)=(f,Qf). If you take f=g+h and simplify, you get (g,Qh) + (h,Qh) = (Qg,h) + (Qh,g). And if you take f=g-ih and simplify, you get (g,Qh) - (h,Qg) = (Qg,h) - (Qh,g).

6. Jan 21, 2012 #5
    isn't it just that

Q=Q^dagger where dagger is the transpose and complex conjugate

for a matrix to be hermitian

such that <Q| = |Q>

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook