1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof about Lambert Quadrilaterals

1. Jun 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If ABCD and AFED are Lambert quadrilaterals (see Fig. 3.6.16), prove, in neutral geometry, that if C, D, and E are collinear, then the geometry is Euclidean.

2. Relevant equations

I have provided a picture of the shape in question.

3. The attempt at a solution

Here are the theorems I think that are important to this proof:

By Thm 3.6.7 (just the number given in the book), the 4th angle of a Lambert quadrilateral (∠EDA and ∠CDA) is either right or acute angle.
    By Thm 3.6.8 we know that the measure of the side included between 2 right angles is less than or equal to the measure of the opposite side.
    By Thm 4.4.5 If, under a correspondence, the three interior angles of one triangle are congruent to the corresponding interior angles of a second triangle, then the triangles are similar.

What I did was make ABCD into 2 triangles and AFED into 2 triangles. For a ABCD, a diagonal line from E to A. And for AFED, a diagonal line from C to A. Doing this we can see by AAA Similarity Condition for Triangles, the triangles are congruent to each other. Thus, making C, D, and E collinear.

Am I on the right track? Or have the right idea?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?