What is the proof for the limit superior?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a way to show that a sequence converges in a certain case and the use of a specific formula to help prove this. The formula and its correctness are also briefly mentioned.
NihalRi

Homework Statement

ques.jpg

2. Relevant equation
Below is the definition of the limit superior
def.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to start by considering two cases, case 1 in which the sequence does not converge and case 2 in which the sequence converges and got stuck with the second case.
try.jpg

I know intuitively that there exists a K such that Mk < a is the second case but I can not think of how to show this. I attempted to consider cases again, like monotone increasing, decreasing, or even use the definition of couchy sequence but was not getting anywhere. Is there a way to reach the same conclusion in my second case or is my approach for this proof completely off? I would gladly supply any additional information and would greatly appreciate any help.

Attachments

• ques.jpg
    ques.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 640
  • def.jpg
    def.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 613
  • try.jpg
    try.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 522
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to consider cases and it doesn't matter whether the sequence converges.

Let ##u=(s+a)/2##. Can you show that for large enough ##n##, the amount ##M_n## must be less than ##u##? What does that tell us about the relationship between ##x_n## and ##a##?

Likes NihalRi
andrewkirk said:
You don't need to consider cases and it doesn't matter whether the sequence converges.

Let ##u=(s+a)/2##. Can you show that for large enough ##n##, the amount ##M_n## must be less than ##u##? What does that tell us about the relationship between ##x_n## and ##a##?
for a large enough n, wouldn't ##M_n## = s?
a > s
a + s > s + s = 2s
(a+s)/2 > s
so s < u

I'm still trying to see the next part

NihalRi said:
for a large enough n, wouldn't ##M_n## = s?
Not necessarily. But it will be less than u. Why is that? (Consider the definition of lim sup)

Likes NihalRi
It might be useful to observe that

$$\limsup a_n = \inf_{n=1}^\infty \{\sup_{k=n}^\infty a_k\}$$

Likes NihalRi
I have more time now. Using my last formula, if ##a > \limsup a_n := L##, then there is ##n \geq 1## such that ##\sup_{k \geq n} a_k < a##. But then ##a_k \leq \sup_{k \geq n} a_k < a## for all ##k \geq n##, which was what we had to prove.

It remains to show that my last formula is correct. This is however easy, since ##\sup_{k\geq n} a_k## is a non-increasing sequence in ##n## and thus by the monotonuous convergence theorem, the sequence of suprema converges to its infinum.

1. What is the limit superior?

The limit superior, also known as the "lim sup", is a concept in mathematical analysis that represents the largest possible limit of a sequence or a function as its argument approaches a certain value or infinity.

2. How is the limit superior calculated?

The limit superior is calculated by taking the supremum (least upper bound) of all the cluster points of a sequence or function. It can also be calculated by finding the limit of the sequence of suprema of the sub-sequences of the original sequence.

3. What is the difference between limit superior and limit inferior?

The limit superior and limit inferior are two related concepts in mathematical analysis. While the limit superior represents the largest possible limit of a sequence, the limit inferior represents the smallest possible limit of a sequence. They can be thought of as the upper and lower bounds of a sequence's limit.

4. What are some applications of the limit superior?

The limit superior has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to study the behavior of sequences and functions, to prove the convergence or divergence of series, and to analyze complex systems in physics and engineering.

5. Can the limit superior be infinite?

Yes, the limit superior can be infinite. This happens when the sequence or function has at least one cluster point that is infinite. In this case, the limit superior will also be infinite, indicating that the sequence or function does not have a finite limit.