Can All Real Numbers Be Multiplied to Create an Integer?

In summary, the student is not sure how to attack the homework statement and is looking for help. Two cases are given, both of which are trivial. The student then thanks the others for their help.
iamsmooth

Homework Statement

Prove or disprove: ∀x ∈ R ∃y ∈ R so that xy ∈ Z.

(R denotes set of all real nuimbers, Z denotes set of all integers)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to attack this question. It seems false, but I can't think of a good counterexample.

Like If I say take pi, I don't think there is any other number you could multiply pi by to make an integer, but I don't know how to formulate this into a proof that makes sense. I also thought of playing with irrationals since maybe they could provide a counter example, but I'm not sure how to prove something like this. Maybe it's just something I'm not seeing.

Can anyone help get me started? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sometimes, starting simpler is helps. Since you want to prove something for all integers (namely, that there exists an x such that for all y, xy is not that integer), you could first try to get ideas by proving it for one specific integer.

Well, try two cases.

Case 1: x = 0.
Trivial

Case 2: x =/= 0.

What if y = 1/x?

well if you give me any integer, multiplying it by any integer will produce an integer

if you give me an irrational, how can you prove that no number can make an integer.

it's defined on reals, not integers. i don't think that 1/x example works since it says there exists, as long as there exists one number that can be multiplied with x to make an integer, it's true.

i'm so stupid, i figured it out, given any real number, multiply it by 0 and 0 is an integer...

i wasn't thinking simple enough...

If you're given a nonzero, can you multiply it by something to get, say, 1?

like l'Hopital said, 1/x * x = 1, so yeah I guess that works.

Thanks a lot guys :D

What is the proof for the product of real numbers?

The proof for the product of real numbers is based on the commutative and associative properties of multiplication, as well as the distributive property. It states that the product of two real numbers is equal to the product of their absolute values multiplied by the sign of their product.

Is the product of real numbers always a real number?

Yes, the product of two real numbers is always a real number. This is because the set of real numbers is closed under multiplication, meaning that when two real numbers are multiplied, the result will always be a real number.

What is the difference between the product of real numbers and the product of complex numbers?

The main difference between the product of real numbers and the product of complex numbers is that the complex numbers include an imaginary component, while the real numbers do not. The product of two complex numbers involves multiplying both the real and imaginary components, while the product of real numbers only involves multiplying the real components.

How does the product of real numbers relate to other mathematical concepts?

The product of real numbers is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, and roots. This is because these operations can be thought of as repeated multiplication or division of real numbers.

Why is it important to understand the proof of the product of real numbers?

Understanding the proof of the product of real numbers is important because it provides a foundation for understanding more complex mathematical concepts. It also allows us to confidently use and manipulate real numbers in various mathematical and scientific calculations.