Proving Rational Numbers and Irrational Numbers

In summary, we proved that if a is a rational number and t is an irrational number, then a+t and at are both irrational numbers as long as a is not equal to 0. This was demonstrated by assuming the contrary and arriving at a contradiction.
cragar

Homework Statement

Show that if [itex] a\in\mathbb{Q} [/itex] and [itex] t\in\mathbb{I} [/itex]
then [itex] a+t\in\mathbb{I} [/itex] and [itex] at\in\mathbb{I} [/itex]
as long as a≠0

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex] a=\frac{x}{y} [/itex] where x and y are integers. and t is an irrational number
If I have a+t . since t cannot be written as a fraction, there's no way an integer times an irrational number will be an integer so this number will be irrational. and also at and a+t would be irrational.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't understand your argument. I suggest starting by assuming the contrary. Suppose

[tex]a + t \not\in \mathbb{I}[/tex]

Then

[tex]a + t \in \mathbb{Q}[/tex]

So there is some rational [itex]r[/itex] such that [itex]a + t = r[/itex]. Can you explain why this is impossible?

ok i see. So we assume that a+t is a rational number. let a=x/y
and let a+t=L/M=x/y+t=L/M
and when we subtract x/y from both sides and we get a common denominator and simplify the right hand side we get that t is a rational number. which is a contradiction, therefore a+t is an irrational number. does this work

cragar said:
ok i see. So we assume that a+t is a rational number. let a=x/y
and let a+t=L/M=x/y+t=L/M
and when we subtract x/y from both sides and we get a common denominator and simplify the right hand side we get that t is a rational number. which is a contradiction, therefore a+t is an irrational number. does this work

Looks good.

sweet thanks for the help

What are rational numbers?

Rational numbers are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This means that they can be written in the form of a/b, where a and b are integers and b is not equal to 0.

How do you prove that a number is rational?

To prove that a number is rational, you need to show that it can be written in the form of a/b, where a and b are integers. This can be done by simplifying the number or by showing that it is a repeating or terminating decimal.

Can all numbers be proven to be rational?

No, not all numbers can be proven to be rational. Irrational numbers, such as pi and the square root of 2, cannot be written as a ratio of two integers and therefore cannot be proven to be rational.

What is the significance of proving a number to be rational?

Proving that a number is rational is important because it allows us to understand and work with numbers more easily. Rational numbers can be manipulated using basic arithmetic operations, making them useful in many mathematical and scientific applications.

How does the proof of rational numbers relate to the concept of fractions?

The proof of rational numbers is closely related to the concept of fractions. Fractions are essentially a way of representing rational numbers in a more compact form. The proof of rational numbers allows us to understand the relationship between the numerator and denominator in a fraction and how they form a rational number.