1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof by contradiction, i think i got it, its long but i think it works, suggestions

1. Sep 26, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone! THe directions are the following:
    Carefully formulate the negations of each of the statements. Then prove each statement by contradiction.

Here is the problem:
    If a and b are rational numbers, b!=0, and r is an irrational number, then a+br is irrational.

I made it into a universal statement:
    [tex]\forall[/tex] real numbers a and b and r, if a nd b are rational such that b != 0, and r is irrational, then a + br is rational.

I then took the negation:
    [tex]\exists[/tex] rational numbers a and b, b != 0 and irrational number r such that a + br is rational.

Suppose not. That is, suppose there are rational numbers a and b, with b != 0 and r is an irrational number such that a + br is rational. By definition of rational a + br = e/f and a = m/n and b = x/y for some integers e, f, m, n, x, and y with n,y,x, and f != 0. By substitution

a + br = e/f
    a = m/n;
    r = irrational
    b = x/y

m/n + (x/y)*r = e/f

r = y/x(e/f – m/n)

r = (yen-fmy)/fnx

now yen-fmy and fnx are both integers, and fnx != 0. Hence r is a quotient of the integers yen-fmy and fnx with fnx != 0. Thus, by definition of rational, r is rational, which contradicts the supposition that a+br is irrational.

I know there are alot of variables, but i wasn't sure how else to show that r is infact a quotient of integers.

Any comments on what i did if its correct or flawed? Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you've done is perfectly correct but you are right- it's hard to read with all those letters.

You might just use the fact that the set of rational numbers is closed under addition and multiplication- and every non-zero rational number has a rational multiplicative inverse.

If a+ br= c then r= (c-a)(1/b). If a, b, c, b not 0, are all rational then c-a is rational (because the rational numbers are closed under addition), 1/b is rational (b is not 0 so has a rational multiplicative inverse), (c-a)(1/b) is rational (the rational numbers are closed under multiplication).
  4. Sep 27, 2006 #3
    That does look alot nicer, thanks for the help! :biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?