Proof by contradiction,

In summary: If a and b are both even, then c=3. If a and b are both odd, then c=1. If a and b are both even, then c=2. If a and b are both odd, then c=5. So c can only be 1, 2, or 5. So both a and b must be odd to prove the contradiction.
Instinctlol

Homework Statement

If a,b and c are integers and a2+b2=c2, then at least one of a and b is even.

2. Contradiction statement
There exist an integer a,b,c such that a2+b2=c2 and a or b is odd

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure if my contradiction statement is correct because of this part, then at least one of a and b is even. I think it means 1 has to be even and the other could be even or odd. Let me know if my contradiction is right or wrong and point me in the right direction to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
The statement "at least one of a and b is even" is true if either a or b is even, or if both a and b are even. The opposite of this statement is "neither a nor b is even."

So either a or b is odd would be correct?

Suppose a=1 and b=2. Then the statement "either a or b is odd" is true because a is odd. The statement "at least one of a and b is even" is true because b is even. So "either a or b is odd" can't be the opposite of "at least one of a and b is even."

Instinctlol said:
So either a or b is odd would be correct?
If you'll read more closely, you'll see that I said neither a nor b is odd.

Mark44 said:
If you'll read more closely, you'll see that I said neither a nor b is odd.

I reread your statement and it says both a and b are not even so they both must be odd?

Instinctlol said:
I reread your statement and it says both a and b are not even so they both must be odd?

Yes, to prove the contradiction you would assume they are both odd. Think about mod 4.

Last edited:

What is proof by contradiction?

Proof by contradiction is a method of proving the truth of a statement by assuming its opposite and showing that this leads to a contradiction, thereby proving the original statement must be true.

When is proof by contradiction used?

Proof by contradiction is used when a direct proof or a proof by contrapositive is not possible or is too complex. It is also commonly used in mathematics and logic to prove the existence or uniqueness of an object.

What are the steps for a proof by contradiction?

The steps for a proof by contradiction are as follows:

1. Assume the opposite of the statement to be proven.
  2. Use logical deductions and/or mathematical operations to arrive at a contradiction.
  3. Since a contradiction cannot be true, the original statement must be true.

Can any statement be proven by contradiction?

No, not every statement can be proven by contradiction. Some statements may require a direct proof or a different method of proof. Additionally, the statement must be logically equivalent to its opposite in order for proof by contradiction to be applicable.

What are the advantages of using proof by contradiction?

Proof by contradiction can be a powerful tool in proving mathematical statements, especially when direct proofs are not possible. It can also help in understanding the logical structure of a statement and identifying potential flaws or errors in reasoning.