Can I prove the statement if n^2 is odd, then n must be odd by contradiction?

In summary, the conversation discusses an example of a proof by contradiction, specifically in the case where n is an integer and n^2 is odd. The proof shows that if n is even, then n^2 must also be even, contradicting the original assumption that n^2 is odd. Therefore, it must be true that if n^2 is odd, then n is odd.
xeon123
I never understand the proof by contradiction, because somewhere in the middle I always lost myself.

In this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=523874 there's an example of proof by contradiction.

If n is an integer such that n^2 is odd, then n must be odd.

So assume that n is an integer such that n^2 is odd. There are 2 possible cases: n can be odd or n can be even. If we show that n cannot be even, then it must be odd.
So, assume that n is even, then it has the form n=2k. But then n2=(2k)^2=4k^2=2(2k^2). This has the form 2m (with m=2k^2), thus n^2 is even. But we made the assumption that n^2 was odd, so we have reached a contradiction. So, n cannot be even (otherwise n^2 must be even), hence n must be odd.

We assume that if n^2 is odd than n is odd. This means that if n^2 is even, n can be odd or even. How can I proof a contradiction if n is even? It doesn't tell me nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
No, n^2 even implies n even. You are trying to show that if n^2 is odd, then n must be odd. So you assume that it's not true, i.e. if n^2 is odd then n is not necessarily odd. The only other choice is n is even. So suppose n^2 is odd and n is even. The result above is that if n is even then n^2 is also even. This contradicts the original assertion that n^2 was odd so it can not be true that if n^2 is odd, then n is even. The only choice left is that if n^2 is odd, then n is odd.

1. What is "proof by contradiction"?

"Proof by contradiction" is a method of mathematical proof where you assume the opposite of what you are trying to prove, and then show that this leads to a contradiction. This contradiction then proves that the original statement must be true.

2. How is "proof by contradiction" different from other proof methods?

Unlike other proof methods, such as direct proof or proof by induction, "proof by contradiction" starts with the negation of the statement and works backwards to reach a contradiction. This allows for a more indirect and often more creative approach to proving a statement.

3. When should "proof by contradiction" be used?

"Proof by contradiction" should be used when a direct proof or other methods do not seem to work, or when the statement is difficult to prove directly. It can also be used to prove the uniqueness of a solution or to show that a statement is impossible to disprove.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of "proof by contradiction"?

One potential drawback of "proof by contradiction" is that it does not always provide a constructive solution. It only proves that a statement is true, but it does not provide a direct path to the solution. Additionally, it may be difficult to come up with the contradiction, and it may not always be clear if the proof is valid.

5. Can "proof by contradiction" be used in all mathematical proofs?

Yes, "proof by contradiction" can be used in all mathematical proofs, but it may not always be the most efficient or effective method. It is important to consider the context and nature of the statement being proved before deciding on the appropriate proof method to use.