1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof by contradiction

1. Feb 18, 2012 #1
    I never understand the proof by contradiction, because somewhere in the middle I always lost myself.

In this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=523874 [Broken] there's an example of proof by contradiction.

We assume that if n^2 is odd than n is odd. This means that if n^2 is even, n can be odd or even. How can I proof a contradiction if n is even? It doesn't tell me nothing.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2012 #2
    No, n^2 even implies n even. You are trying to show that if n^2 is odd, then n must be odd. So you assume that it's not true, i.e. if n^2 is odd then n is not necessarily odd. The only other choice is n is even. So suppose n^2 is odd and n is even. The result above is that if n is even then n^2 is also even. This contradicts the original assertion that n^2 was odd so it can not be true that if n^2 is odd, then n is even. The only choice left is that if n^2 is odd, then n is odd.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook