Proof by Contradiction: Showing x <= n Leads to a Contradiction

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that x <= n leads to a contradiction when solving for x in the equation n!-1 = xk, where x and k are integers and n is an integer greater than 2. The summary explains the steps taken to prove this, including generalizing the method for any x from 2 to n. Ultimately, it is determined that 1/x is not an integer for x>=2, leading to the conclusion that the assumption x<=n must be false.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

lets say i have an int n that is greater than 2.
I know n!-1 = xk where x and k are integers I must show that x <= n leads to a contradiction

The Attempt at a Solution

i assume x = n
n!-1 =nk
(n-1)! -1/n = k
it seems to me that because of the 1/n k would not be an integer which would be a contradiction. But i am not even sure if that is true that it would not be an integer in any case. Am i going about this the right way?

Physics news on Phys.org
also x > 1

and i also know x < n!

wait so i have (n-1)! -k = 1/n
then (n-1)! - k is an integer because it is the sum and products of integers.
so int = 1/n
but n>2 so 1/n is not an int therefore there is a contradiction. is this correct?

toothpaste666 said:
wait so i have (n-1)! -k = 1/n
then (n-1)! - k is an integer because it is the sum and products of integers.
so int = 1/n
but n>2 so 1/n is not an int therefore there is a contradiction. is this correct?
That's correct, but you've only proved it for x =n. You need to prove it for every 1 < x <= n.

i was worried about that. I am not quite sure how to do this. I thought about doing it again for a n-1 but that also won't cover every case

toothpaste666 said:
i was worried about that. I am not quite sure how to do this. I thought about doing it again for a n-1 but that also won't cover every case
That's right, you won't get there doing one at a time, but you can generalise your method so that it works for any x from 2 to n.

Likes toothpaste666
I am not entirely sure how to do that. Can i say x is a particular but arbitrary integer from (2,n] and we have
int = 1/x
we know x is an int greater than 2 and there are no integers x greater than 2 such that 1/x is an integer therefore 1/x is not an int if 2 <x <= n
I am not sure how convincing this is though

If x is an integer in [2,n] then n!/x is an integer and xk/x is an integer and 1/x isn't. If that's what you meant, then it's convincing.

Last edited:
i get up to n!/x is an integer because if x is between 2 and n then it will divide into one of the ints in n!. The rest I am not as confident. let me start back a few steps
n!-1 = xk
(n!-1)/x = k
n!/x-1/x = k
n!/x must be an int because x is a int from 2 to n so it cancels one of the ints in n! and then the rest will be an int because it is the product of ints.
n!/x - k = 1/x
now we have n!/x-k is an int because it is a sum of ints. this is a contradiction because we know that 1/x is not an int because x>2

toothpaste666 said:
i get up to n!/x is an integer because if x is between 2 and n then it will divide into one of the ints in n!. The rest I am not as confident. let me start back a few steps
n!-1 = xk
(n!-1)/x = k
n!/x-1/x = k
n!/x must be an int because x is a int from 2 to n so it cancels one of the ints in n! and then the rest will be an int because it is the product of ints.
n!/x - k = 1/x
now we have n!/x-k is an int because it is a sum of ints. this is a contradiction because we know that 1/x is not an int because x>2

Yes, 1/x is not an integer for x>=2. But as you've shown n!/x-k=1/x and the left side is an integer. That's a contradiction. So the assumption x<=n must be false.

Likes toothpaste666
thank you

1. What is proof by contradiction?

Proof by contradiction is a type of mathematical proof that involves assuming the opposite of what is being proved and showing that it leads to a contradiction, thus proving that the original statement must be true.

2. When is proof by contradiction used?

Proof by contradiction is often used when a direct proof or a proof by contrapositive is not possible or when it is easier to prove the opposite of a statement instead of proving the statement itself.

3. How does proof by contradiction work?

Proof by contradiction works by first assuming the opposite of what is being proved, also known as the negation of the statement. Then, using logical reasoning and mathematical principles, the proof shows that this assumption leads to a contradiction, which proves that the original statement must be true.

4. What are the advantages of using proof by contradiction?

Proof by contradiction allows for a more creative approach to proving a statement and can sometimes be easier or more efficient than other types of proofs. It also helps to strengthen the validity of a statement by showing that it cannot possibly be false.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to proof by contradiction?

One limitation of proof by contradiction is that it does not always provide a direct or constructive solution to a problem. It also requires a strong understanding of logical reasoning and mathematical principles, which can be challenging for some individuals.