Does Proof by Contradiction Confirm the Order of Elements in a Group?

• Thread starter annoymage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: But yes, the link you provided has a great proof for the theorem.In summary, the theorem states that for a group G and an element a in G, the order of a is equal to the order of its inverse, a-1. This is proved by considering three cases where the order of a can be 1, n, or infinity. In case 2, where the order is n, the proof shows that the order of a-1 is also n, and therefore equal to the order of a. This is done by showing that if (a-1)r=1 for some r<n, it leads to a contradiction with the fact that ar=1 for all r<n. Therefore, (a-1)r cannot
annoymage
lal means the order of a

Theorem.

Let G be a group and a[tex]\in[/tex]G. Then lal=la-1l

Proof.

Case 1, if lal=1

Case 2, if lal=n

Case 3, if lal=infinity

i understand case 1 and 3, so i'll be post the proof when need,

but, case 2

Here's the proof

Suppose lal=n

Then an=1 and ar[tex]\neq[/tex]1, 1[tex]\leq[/tex]r<n-----------(1)

To show that (a-1)n=1 and (a-1)r[tex]\neq[/tex]1, 1[tex]\leq[/tex]r<n.

Clearly, (a-1)n=(an)-1=(1)-1=1

Suppose (a-1)r=1, for some 1[tex]\leq[/tex]r<n

=> (ar)-1, 1[tex]\leq[/tex]r<n

=> ar=1, for some 1[tex]\leq[/tex]r<n

but this contradict (1)

So, (a-1)r[tex]\neq[/tex]1, 1[tex]\leq[/tex]r<n

Hence, lal=n=la-1l
I don't understand why, it suppose "(a-1)r=1, for some 1[tex]\leq[/tex]r<n"

then say it contradict with (1), i cannot see how they contradict.

Help, T_T

Physics news on Phys.org
=> (ar)-1, [tex]1 \leq r<n[/tex]

You need to finish this line by having an equation, not an expression. I suspect you meant to put =1 in there.

You showed that if the order of a-1 is r with r<n, then ar=1. But the order of a was n, so that's the contradiction

(a-1)r=a-r=an-r, so if 0<r<n and a-r=e, order of a is not n.

Office_Shredder said:
You need to finish this line by having an equation, not an expression. I suspect you meant to put =1 in there.

You showed that if the order of a-1 is r with r<n, then ar=1. But the order of a was n, so that's the contradiction

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, i get it, now I'm trying to catch what losiu99 try to convey.
in the mean time

do you mind checking this? please :D

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=417859

Sorry, my post was a bit off topic, I thought you didn't understand the part on reaching ar=1 starting from (a-1)r.

1. What is proof by contradiction?

Proof by contradiction is a method of proving the truthfulness of a statement by assuming its opposite and showing that it leads to a contradiction or inconsistency.

2. How does proof by contradiction work?

In proof by contradiction, we assume that the statement we want to prove is false and then logically derive a contradiction. This contradiction then proves that our initial assumption was incorrect, and therefore the original statement must be true.

3. When is proof by contradiction used?

Proof by contradiction is often used when direct or indirect proof methods are not applicable. It is also useful in proving the uniqueness of a particular solution or in proving the existence of a solution in a mathematical problem.

4. What are the advantages of using proof by contradiction?

Proof by contradiction allows us to prove a statement without explicitly knowing or showing the path to its truth. It also allows us to prove a statement that may not be intuitively obvious or easy to prove by other methods.

5. Are there any limitations to using proof by contradiction?

Proof by contradiction can only be used to prove statements that are logically equivalent to their contrapositives. It also requires careful reasoning and may not always provide a constructive solution, making it challenging to use in certain situations.