Proof by induction: 5^n + 9 < 6^n for all integers n≥2

In summary: Thank you for your help!In summary, the conversation revolves around proving the statement 5n + 9 < 6n for all integers n≥2 using mathematical induction. The conversation includes an attempt at a solution where P(2) is shown to be true and P(n+1) is then manipulated to show that it is less than the other side of the inequality. The final goal is to prove that 5n+1+9<6n+1.
savtaylor2010

Homework Statement

Prove the statement by mathematical induction:
5n + 9 < 6n for all integers n≥2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Proof: let P(n) be the statement,
5n + 9 < 6n

P(2) is true because,
34<36.

Suppose that P(n) is true.
P(n+1) would be,
5n+1 + 9 < 6n+1
6n+1 = 6[itex]\bullet[/itex]6n
6[itex]\bullet[/itex](5n+9)< 6[itex]\bullet[/itex]6n
==> 54+ 6(5n) < 6[itex]\bullet[/itex]6n
==> 54+ 5(5n) + 5n < 6[itex]\bullet[/itex]6n
==> 54+ 5n+1 + 5n < 6[itex]\bullet[/itex]6n

What do I do from here? I don't know how to wrap up and prove this induction, or that P(n+1) is real? Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems you need to show that [itex]9<54+5^n[/itex]. That can't be too difficult.

I don't really understand the hint that you gave. Could you elaborate a little more on that? I just have a hard time understanding the structure of inequality inductions.

Your confusion seems to stem from the fact that you write down what you're trying to prove, and then write down something else entirely and lose track of what your final line needs to look like

First,
6(5n+9) < 6*6n

This is true by the inductive hypothesis assuming that P(n) is true. From here you conclude that
54+ 5n+1 + 5n < 6n+1

Our objective is to get
5n+1+9<6n+1

So it suffices to show that
5n+1+9 < 54+5n+1+5n

Okay. That makes sense now. I guess it takes some practice for it to become more clear. I see now that you manipulated one side of the inequality, then related it back to it's original p(n+1) state to prove that it is in fact less than the other side of the inequality.

1. How does proof by induction work?

Proof by induction is a mathematical technique used to prove that a statement is true for all integers greater than or equal to a certain starting point. It involves showing that the statement is true for the starting point, and then using a series of logical steps to show that if the statement is true for any given integer, it must also be true for the next integer.

2. What is the starting point for this proof?

The starting point for this proof is n = 2, as stated in the given statement. This means that we need to show that 5^2 + 9 < 6^2 is true, and then use the induction step to show that it is also true for n = 3, n = 4, and so on.

3. How do you prove the statement for the induction step?

To prove the statement for the induction step, we assume that it is true for some integer k, and then use this assumption to show that it must also be true for the next integer, which is k+1. In this case, we would assume that 5^k + 9 < 6^k is true, and then use algebraic manipulation to show that 5^(k+1) + 9 < 6^(k+1) is also true.

4. Can you provide an example of proof by induction?

Yes, an example of proof by induction is the proof that the sum of the first n positive integers is n(n+1)/2. The starting point for this proof is n = 1, and then we assume the statement is true for some integer k and use this assumption to show that it is also true for k+1. By doing this for all integers, we prove that the statement is true for all positive integers.

5. Why is proof by induction a useful method?

Proof by induction is a useful method because it allows us to prove a statement is true for an infinite number of values by only considering a few specific cases. It is also a rigorous and systematic approach, and it can be applied to a wide range of mathematical problems and concepts.