1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof by Induction Problem

1. Oct 23, 2009 #1
    Nevermind, got the answer :D

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to prove using mathematical induction that:

[tex]\sum^{n}_{i=1} i^{3}= 1^{3}+2^{3}+3^{3}+...+n^{3}=\left[\frac{(n+1)\cdot n}{2}\right]^{2}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\sum^{n}_{i=1} i^{3}= 1^{3}+2^{3}+3^{3}+...+n^{3}=\left[\frac{(n+1)\cdot n}{2}\right]^{2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, I have proved that the statement is true when n=1 and have gone on to assume that it must be true for any arbitrary value of n. I chose n=p. Thus:

[tex]\sum^{p}_{i=1} i^{3}= 1^{3}+2^{3}+3^{3}+...+p ^{3}=\left[\frac{(p+1)\cdot p}{2}\right]^{2}[/tex]

Where i am stuck is that I know i need to show that if the statement is true when n=p then it must be true for n=p+1. I have gotten as far as:

[tex]\sum^{p}_{i=1} i^{3}= 1^{3}+2^{3}+3^{3}+...+p^{3}+(p+1)^{3}=\left[\frac{(p+1)\cdot p}{2}\right]^{2}+(p+1)^{3}[/tex]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2009 #2

whs

[tex]
    \sum^{p}_{i=1} i^{3}= 1^{3}+2^{3}+3^{3}+...+p^{3}+(p+1)^{3}=\left[\frac{(p+1)\cdot p}{2}\right]^{2}+(p+1)^{3}
    [/tex]

Factor out a (p+1)^2, and see what you see.

4. Oct 23, 2009 #3
    Re: Nevermind, got the answer :D

have you tried just expanding it out and seeing what you get?
    the induction step is simple, you got that - the rest is just algebra

5. Oct 23, 2009 #4
    Basically, you should expand, collect terms, and reduce. You should be able to do it that way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook