1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof by induction Q

1. May 20, 2013 #1
    [tex] I_n = \displaystyle \int_0^1 (1-x^2)^ndx, n \geq 0 [/tex]

Given that [itex] (2n + 1)I_n = 2nI_{n-1} [/itex]

proove by induction that

[itex] I_n \leq \left (\dfrac{2n}{2n + 1} \right)^n [/itex] for positive integers of n

in the solutions, could someone explain how they got to step 1, and why we need to show step 2 to complete the proof?

Solutions: http://gyazo.com/26e85134e4d5c13d5d7a49a0de91ae58

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2013 #2
    You have the statement:
    [tex]
    S_n : I_n \leq \left( \frac{2n}{2n + 1} \right)^n
    [/tex]
    and you want to prove that it's true for all n, where n is a positive integer.
    You can do this by proving that [itex]S_1[/itex] and [itex]S_k \Rightarrow S_{k + 1}[/itex] are true, where k is a positive integer.

Proving [itex]S_1[/itex] is true should be simple enough. Prove [itex]S_k \Rightarrow S_{k + 1}[/itex] is true by direct proof, i.e. assume [itex]S_k[/itex] to be true and show that it forces [itex]S_{k + 1}[/itex] to be true:
    [tex]
    S_k : I_k \leq \left( \frac{2k}{2k + 1} \right)^k \Leftrightarrow \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} I_k \leq \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \left( \frac{2k}{2k + 1} \right)^k \Leftrightarrow I_{k + 1} \leq \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \left( \frac{2k}{2k + 1} \right)^k
    [/tex]
    Here I just multiplied both sides of the inequality by [itex]\frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3}[/itex] and used the relation [itex]I_n = \frac{2n}{2n + 1} I_{n - 1}[/itex].

You have:
    [tex]
    S_{k + 1} : I_{k + 1} \leq \left( \frac{2(k + 1)}{2(k + 1) + 1} \right)^{k + 1} = \left( \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \right)^{k + 1} = \left( \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \right)^{1} \left( \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \right)^{k}
    [/tex]
    Thus, if you can show that:
    [tex]
    \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \left( \frac{2k}{2k + 1} \right)^k \leq \left( \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \right)^{1} \left( \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \right)^{k}
    [/tex]
    then [itex]S_{k + 1}[/itex] must be true if [itex]S_{k}[/itex] is true.

It follows by induction that [itex]S_n[/itex] is true for all n, where n is a positive integer.

4. May 20, 2013 #3
    managed to show that's true

thank you :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted