1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof by Induction-Sqrt(n)

1. Sep 4, 2010 #1
    Proof by Induction--Sqrt(n)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that if a line of unit length is given, then a line of length sqrt(n) can be constructed for each n.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

So I'm not really sure where to begin...I assumed that a unit length is the representation of the natural numbers (1, 2, 3...n). And then I drew a triangle with unit length 1 on the legs and then constructed the hypotenuse to be sqrt(2). And then I drew a triangle with unit length 1 on a leg and unit length 2 on a leg and then I constructed the hypotenuse to be sqrt(5). But I don't know how to:

i) Write this as a formal proof by induction, or
    ii) How to find some sqrt(n) with unit lengths, like sqrt(3) or sqrt(4).

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Proof by Induction--Sqrt(n)

What if you use the sqrt(2) line that you just constructed to make the sqrt(3) line somehow?

4. Sep 4, 2010 #3

So then (sqrt(2))^2+1^2 = c^2
    c=sqrt(3)

Ok, that makes sense. Is there a way to generalize this as a rule or equation to prove with induction?

So far I have:

(1^2)+(1^2)=c^2
    (1+1) = c^2
    c=sqrt(2)

(sqrt(2))^2+1^2 = c^2
    2+1 = c^2
    c=sqrt(3)

(sqrt(2))^2+(sqrt(2))^2=c^2
    2+2 = c^2
    c = 2

etc etc?

How would I prove that I can find sqrt(n) for all n, such that n is a natural number?

5. Sep 4, 2010 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it says to use induction. We can use the line with length sqrt(1) to make a line of length sqrt(2). We can use the line with length sqrt(2) to make a line with length sqrt(3). Given a line of length sqrt(n), can you make a line with length sqrt(n+1)? And how does that help you with a proof by induction?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook