Proof by Induction: Proving (2n > 4n2+1) for Natural Numbers

So if I can show that the inequality is true for all n greater than 2.3, then I can prove that the equation is true for all n greater than 5?Yes. That is exactly right. And the easiest way to show it is true for all n greater than 2.3 is to show that it is true for all n greater than 3 and then note that 3 is greater than 2.3.
vikkisut88

Homework Statement

Prove that ([tex]\forall[/tex]n in the set of Natural numbers )[(n [tex]\geq[/tex] 9) [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] (2n > 4n2 + 1)]

Homework Equations

To do proof by induction you must first prove for n = 1, then assume true for n and then show for n+1

The Attempt at a Solution

So for n=1 i have RHS:29 = 512 and 4.92 + 1 = 325
So (2n > 4n2 + 1)] for n=1

Now assume true for n

Show for n+1: (2n+1 > 4(n+1)2 + 1)]
So 2 n+1can also be written as 2 n . 21
Thus 2 n+1> 4(n+1) 2 + 1)] = 2n . 21 > [4(n+1)2 + 1].2
which is the same as 2n . 21 > 8(n+1)2 + 2

And now I'm stuck as to how to arrange this to give me the right answer

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
vikkisut88 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that ([tex]\forall[/tex]n in the set of Natural numbers )[(n [tex]\geq[/tex] 9) [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] (2n > 4n2 + 1)]

Homework Equations

To do proof by induction you must first prove for n = 1, then assume true for n and then show for n+1

The Attempt at a Solution

So for n=1 i have RHS:29 = 512 and 4.92 + 1 = 325
So (2n > 4n2 + 1)] for n=1

Now assume true for n

Show for n+1: (2n+1 > 4(n+1)2 + 1)]
So 2 n+1can also be written as 2 n . 21
Thus 2 n+1> 4(n+1) 2 + 1)] = 2n . 21 > [4(n+1)2 + 1].2
No. That "thus" is what you are trying to prove!
What you KNOW is that 2n+1= 2n(2)> (4n2+ 1)(2)= 8n2+ 2
Now, can you prove that that is larger than 4(n+1)2+ 1= 4n2+ 8n+ 5? 8n2+ 2> 4n2+ 8n+ 5, if and only if 4n2- 8n- 4>> 0 which is the same as n2- 2n- 1> 0. For what values of n is that true?

which is the same as 2n . 21 > 8(n+1)2 + 2

And now I'm stuck as to how to arrange this to give me the right answer

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
No. That "thus" is what you are trying to prove!

Is that last bit right? Because I multiplied it out to be 8n2 + 16n + 10?

Hang on, no I think i see what you were doing now...I'll just have a go :)

But still... are you just rearranging this because if so how does it change to >> and why is it -4 and not -3?

Okay so disregarding my previous questions for the time being, In answer to your question about for which n values does it hold true, I did it like this:

n2- 2n- 1> 0.
(n-1)2 - 2 > 0
(n-1)2 > 2
(n-1) > 4
n > 5

So for values greater than 5?

Yes. And since your original problem specified "[itex]n\ge 9", ...

But i don't understand how you rearranged an equation to get n2 - 2n- 1 and then once I've found which values of n this equation holds true for, how does this show 2 n+1 > 4(n+1)2 + 1?

I wrote before:
Now, can you prove that that is larger than 4(n+1)2+ 1= 4n2+ 8n+ 5?
4(n+1)2+ 1= 4(n2+ 2n+ 1)+ 1= 4n2+ 8n+ 5 and you to show that is smaller than 8n2+ 2. In other words, you want 8n2+ 2> n2+ 8n + 5 which reduces to (8- 4)n2- 8n+ (2- 5)= 4n2- 8n -3> 0. You are right. I accidently had "- 4" instead of -3 before.

It is simplest to look at the equation 4n2- 8n- 3= 0: 4n2- 8n+ 4= 3+ 4= 7 or 4(n2- 2n+1)= 4(n-1)2= 7. Solving that gives [itex]n= 1+ \sqrt{7}/2. as the only positive value of n at which the original inequality can change from "<" to ">" That is approximately 2.3. Taking n= 2 gives 4n2- 8n -3= 16- 16- 3= -3 which is negative. Taking n= 3 gives 4n2- 8n -3= 36- 24- 3= 9 which is positive. 4n2- 8n -3> 0 is true for all n greater than 2.

1. What is proof by induction?

Proof by induction is a mathematical technique used to prove statements about natural numbers. It involves showing that a statement holds for the first natural number, and then showing that if the statement holds for any given natural number, it also holds for the next natural number. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to hold for all natural numbers.

2. How does proof by induction work?

To prove a statement using induction, we first show that it holds for the first natural number (often 0 or 1). This is called the base case. Then, we assume that the statement is true for an arbitrary natural number, known as the induction hypothesis. Finally, we show that if the statement is true for the induction hypothesis, it must also be true for the next natural number. This completes the inductive step and proves that the statement is true for all natural numbers.

3. Why is proof by induction important?

Proof by induction is a powerful and widely used tool in mathematics. It allows us to prove statements about infinitely many natural numbers by only considering a few specific cases. It is also used in many mathematical proofs and is a fundamental concept in fields such as number theory, combinatorics, and computer science.

4. What are the key components of a proof by induction?

A proof by induction has two main components: the base case and the inductive step. The base case involves showing that the statement holds for the first natural number. The inductive step involves assuming that the statement is true for an arbitrary natural number and using this assumption to prove that the statement is also true for the next natural number. Additionally, a proof by induction must clearly state the statement being proven and the set of natural numbers to which it applies.

5. Can proof by induction be used to prove any statement about natural numbers?

No, proof by induction can only be used to prove statements that are true for all natural numbers. It cannot be used to prove statements that are only true for a finite number of natural numbers, or for statements that are true for some natural numbers but not all.