Solving Proof by Induction Homework w/ Simple Induction

In summary, the conversation is about proving a mathematical formula using simple induction. The formula in question is f_{k+2}f_{k}- f^2_{k+1}= (-1)^{k+1}, and the discussion involves determining the base case and the inductive step. The base case is proven to be true, and the inductive step is being worked on by simplifying the formula and showing it equals to (-1)^{k+1}.
roam

Homework Statement

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8418/56729818.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly do I need to use the "simple induction" or "complete induction"?

I will try the simple induction.

Base Case: [tex]P(1) = f_1 f_0 - f_{1}^2 = (-1)^1[/tex]

We don't know what the value of [tex]f_0[/tex] is, but if [tex]f_0 = 0[/tex] we get [tex]1 .0 - 1=-1[/tex]. Therefore P(1) is true.

Inductive Step: Suppose P(k) is true, where [tex]k \in N[/tex]. Now I'm stuck & don't know how to deduce that P(k+1) is true.

i.e. show that [tex]P(k+1) = f_{k+1}.f_k - f^2_{k+1}=(-1)^{k+1}[/tex] is true.

any help or clues here is very appreciated :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i think you may have to extend it a bit, show P(1) & P(2) true, then assume P(n) & P(n-1) now try and show P(n+1)

roam said:

Homework Statement

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8418/56729818.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly do I need to use the "simple induction" or "complete induction"?

I will try the simple induction.

Base Case: [tex]P(1) = f_1 f_0 - f_{1}^2 = (-1)^1[/tex]

We don't know what the value of [tex]f_0[/tex] is, but if [tex]f_0 = 0[/tex] we get [tex]1 .0 - 1=-1[/tex]. Therefore P(1) is true.
There is NO "[itex]f_0[/itex]". Your base case is [itex]f_3f_1- f_2^2= (-1)^2[/quote]

[/quote]Inductive Step: Suppose P(k) is true, where [tex]k \in N[/tex]. Now I'm stuck & don't know how to deduce that P(k+1) is true.

i.e. show that [tex]P(k+1) = f_{k+1}.f_k - f^2_{k+1}=(-1)^{k+1}[/tex] is true.

any help or clues here is very appreciated :smile:[/QUOTE]
You are writing the formula incorrectly: it is NOT "[itex]P(k+1) = f_{k+1}.f_k - f^2_{k+1}=(-1)^{k+1}[/itex]", it is [itex]f_{k+2}f_{k}- f^2_{k+1}= (-1)^{k+1}[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!

Thanks, lanedance. We know that [tex]f_1 = f_2 =1[/tex] and using the given formula [tex]f_n = f_{n-1}+f_{n-2}[/tex] we find [tex]f_3 = 2[/tex].

So the base case is:[tex]f_3 . f_1 - f_2 = (-1)^2[/tex]
[tex]2.1-1=(-1)^2[/tex]
Base case is true.

Inductive step:
Suppose P(k) is true for some [tex]k \in \mathbb{N}[/tex]
Sorry Halls, it was a typo. I meant P(k+1) is [tex]f_{k+2}f_{k}- f^2_{k+1}= (-1)^{k+1} = (-1)^k .(-1)[/tex]

Here's where I'm stuck. Any hints on how to prove P(k+1)?

We know that [tex]f_{k+1}f_{k-1}- f^2_{k}= (-1)^{k}[/tex]

I can simplify [tex]f_{k+2}f_{k}- f^2_{k+1}[/tex] to:

[tex](f_{k+1}+f_k)f_{k}- f^2_{k+1}[/tex]

Now how can we simplify this to show it equals to [tex](-1)^{k+1}[/tex] and finish the proof?

1. What is proof by induction?

Proof by induction is a mathematical method used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It involves two steps: the base case, where the statement is proven to be true for the first natural number, and the induction step, where it is shown that if the statement is true for one natural number, it is also true for the next natural number.

2. How do I approach a proof by induction problem?

The first step is to clearly state the statement you are trying to prove. Then, you must prove the base case using the given information. Next, you will need to assume that the statement is true for some arbitrary natural number, and use this assumption to prove that it is also true for the next natural number. Finally, you can conclude that the statement is true for all natural numbers by the principle of mathematical induction.

3. Can I use proof by induction for any type of problem?

No, proof by induction is generally used for statements that involve natural numbers or sequences. It may not be applicable for other types of mathematical problems.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using proof by induction?

Yes, some common mistakes include assuming that the statement is true for all natural numbers without proving the base case, using circular reasoning, and not following the correct steps of the induction process.

5. Can I use proof by induction to prove multiple statements?

Yes, it is possible to use proof by induction to prove multiple statements, as long as they follow the same pattern or have a similar structure. However, each statement must still be proven separately and cannot be combined into one proof.