Prove: (n^3 - n) is Divisible by 6

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of mathematical induction to prove that n^3 - n is divisible by 6 when n = 1 and how to show that 3k^2 + 3k is divisible by 6. The participants also mention using factoring and the properties of even and odd numbers to prove this statement. They also mention the importance of using induction in appropriate situations.
Parth Dave
I have to prove, using mathematical induction, that:
n^3 - n is divisible by 6.
When n = 1 its true.

Assuming that k^3 - k is divisible by 6

(k+1)^3 - (k+1)
=k^3 + 3k^2 + 2k
= k^3 - k + 3k^2 + 3k
k^3 - k is true by induction hypothesis

but how would i prove that 3k^2 + 3k is divisible by 6? (or did i do this completely wrong?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track.
Since 3k^2+3k=3(k^2+k), all you have to show is that k^2+k is divisible by 2.

How would I do that?

you don't really need induction since factoring it makes it obvious. i.e. (n-1)(n)n+1) is a number that is clearly divisible by both 2 and 3, hence also by 6.

It has to be done using induction... and I am not sure i see how that is clearly divisible by 2 and 3.

(k^2+k) = k(k+1)
if k is odd then (k+1) is even
if k is even then well nothing much left

-- AI

Ah, ok, thanks alot.

every other number is divisible by 2 and every third number is divisible by three so if you have three consecutive numbers then at least one is divisible by two and at least one is divisible by three.

i know you were supposed to do it by induction, but i enjoy puncturing the balloon of the book that gives a question which is artificial, in the sense that it should really be done more naturally or mroe intelligently another way.

drill is ok, but it helps i think if you give an induction proof that really requires induction, or is easier by induction.

for example try proving every integer greater than one is either prime or factors into primes without induction.

Last edited:

What does it mean for a number to be divisible by 6?

A number is divisible by 6 if it can be evenly divided by 6 without leaving a remainder. In other words, the number can be divided into equal groups of 6.

How do you prove that (n^3 - n) is divisible by 6?

To prove that (n^3 - n) is divisible by 6, we can use mathematical induction. First, we show that the statement is true for n=1. Then, we assume it is true for n=k and use this assumption to show that it is also true for n=k+1. This proves that the statement is true for all natural numbers, including n^3 - n.

Can you provide an example to illustrate the divisibility of (n^3 - n) by 6?

Yes, for example, if n = 3, then (n^3 - n) = (3^3 - 3) = 24, which is divisible by 6. This is because 24 can be divided into 4 groups of 6.

Why is it important to prove that (n^3 - n) is divisible by 6?

Proving that (n^3 - n) is divisible by 6 is important because it helps us understand the properties of numbers and how they can be manipulated. It also allows us to solve more complex equations and problems involving divisibility.

What are some real-life applications of understanding the divisibility of (n^3 - n) by 6?

Understanding the divisibility of (n^3 - n) by 6 can be helpful in fields such as engineering, computer science, and finance. For example, in engineering, this knowledge can be used to design structures and systems that are efficient and can be divided into equal parts. In computer science, it can be used to optimize algorithms and data structures. In finance, it can be used to calculate interest and compound interest rates.