1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof by Induction

1. Sep 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x2 + x3 + ... + xn/(1-x) for n>=2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not really all that sure how to begin. The base case would be 1/(1-x) = x2/(1-x) and the induction hypothesis would be 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x2 + x3 + ... + xn/(1-x) but I don't know what the n+1 case is and how to prove that it holds. I guess the n+1 case would logically be 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x2 + x3 + ... + xn/(1-x) + xn+1/(x-1), but I don't know how to show algebraically that the left hand side equals the right hand side.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

shouldn't the base case be
    1/(1-x) =1+x+ x2/(1-x)

it might be worth rearranging
    1/(1-x)- x2/(1-x)=1+x

now try multiplying through by (1-x) on both sides

now basically you want to show the "n" case implies the "n+1" case to get the induction. To do this either manipulate the n case to show "n+1" case or vice versa
    1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x2 + x3 + ... + xn/(1-x) + xn+1/(x-1)

4. Sep 4, 2011 #3
    Yes, I see the correction in my error of the base case...got it now.

However, I'm still not getting the n+1 case. So the induction hypothesis is 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x^2 + ... x^n/(1-x). I want to show 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x^2 + ... + x^n/(1-x) + x^(n+1)/(1-x). ....

Basically for the n case 1-x^n = (1-x)(1 + x + x^2 + ... + x^n-1)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  5. Sep 4, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The n+1 case is 1/(1-x)=1+x+x^2+...+x^n+x^(n+1)/(1-x), isn't it? Take the difference between the "n" case and the "n+1" case and show it's zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook